• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Eastern Nassau/Suffolk - What are we hoping for...

Bobby

This strikes me as a bit odd...an 18.7" differential over just a few air miles. CPK is snowier climatologically than JFK...but like I said, the difference seems greater than one would think likely.

JFK seems to be way too low with every event, especially considering spotter reports from nearby stations as well.

This strikes me as a bit odd...an 18.7" differential over just a few air miles. CPK is snowier climatologically than JFK...but like I said, the difference seems greater than one would think likely.

Theyre not accurate and the FAA has been considering shutting down snowfall obs there. As a matter of fact there were no obs for one storm this January at all. Based on multiple reports, the snowfall around here is between 50-55 inches (closer to 55" actually.) Also note the liquid equivalent of 1.00 for the last storm lol.

If you lose the 30 yr norms (which is all you can do since JFK norms dont go further back then 1960) the snowfall avg of JFK isnt that much different from NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

Kennedy trailing Central Park 57.7" to 38.4" season to date snowfall as of today...differential up to 19.3".

The differential bears some similarity to the 1993-94 winter, IIRC.

The differential bears some similarity to the 1993-94 winter, IIRC.

Double checked the records and noted differential wasn't that great in 1993-94...CPK: 53.4"....JFK: 45.2"

• 2 weeks later...

Seasonal Snowfall Through 1/28/2011:

Hartford: 71.2"

Newark: 61.8"

Worcester: 61.6"

Boston: 60.3"

NYC Central Park: 56.1"

Bridgeport: 54.4"

Islip: 49.3"

Albany: 47.1"

NYC LaGuardia: 46.4"

Portland: 42.3"

Providence: 41.0"

Caribou: 39.9"

Philadelphia: 37.9"

NYC Kennedy: 37.6"

Atlantic City: 34.1"

Allentown: 30.6"

Scranton: 22.6"

Norfolk: 18.0"

Baltimore: 12.1"

Washington Dulles: 11.8"

Richmond: 10.7"

Washington National: 9.4"

Seasonal Snowfall Through Mid-Afternoon on 2/21/2011:

Hartford 81.5"

Worcester: 79.7"

Boston 72.8"

Newark: 66.0"

Caribou: 61.7"

NYC Central Park: 60.9"

Albany: 60.7" (data missing from today)

Bridgeport: 59.1"

Portland: 54.6" (data missing from today)

Islip: 53.2"

NYC LaGuardia Airport: 50.7"

Providence 47.5"

NYC JFK Airport: 40.7"

Philadelphia: 38.0"

Allentown: 35.8"

Atlantic City: 34.5"

Scranton: 30.2" (data missing from today and yesterday)

Norfolk: 21.8"

Washigton Dulles: 11.9"

Baltimore: 11.9"

Richmond: 10.8"

Washington National: 9.5"

Providence is a bit of a shocker.

Eh...really far east, right on the Bay, no altitude...it's not in a Screw Zone like Groton / New London...but it's not far from it...Go 10 miles west of Providence into the hills of Rhode Isalnd and annual snowfall picks up by 15" or a bit more in an average year...say around North Foster.

Eh...really far east, right on the Bay, no altitude...it's not in a Screw Zone like Groton / New London...but it's not far from it...Go 10 miles west of Providence into the hills of Rhode Isalnd and annual snowfall picks up by 15" or a bit more in an average year...say around North Foster.

North Foster sounds like it may have been close to the jackpot in Feb 1978. What a location to experience that storm!

Providence seems to do better than us in mod-strong La Ninas, but this has been an atypical enso winter-- too far east not enough latitude. Probably means the Cape didnt do all too well either.

Upton might be the only one I might consider adding, but with some hesitiation...I do not want to overrepresent Long Island when compiling a list for the entire Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Upton with an unofficial total of 60.2 inches of snow on the 2010-11 season through February 23rd.

December: 19.8"

January: 35.7"

Through February 23rd: 4.7"

In their record setting season of 1995-96 (90.8" of snow), Upton had 63.5" through February 28th.

NE Nassau still has a solid snowpack. I was quite impressed driving through the country roads yesterday afternoon.

I drove from Port Jeff west to East Norwich (NE Nassau) yesterday along Route 25A...appeared the snowpack was deepest in Fort Salonga...from where I was driving...seems like the whole town is built on a north facing hill...as I drove south down Route 106 to Hicksville...much of the snow was gone.

I drove from Port Jeff west to East Norwich (NE Nassau) yesterday along Route 25A...appeared the snowpack was deepest in Fort Salonga...from where I was driving...seems like the whole town is built on a north facing hill...as I drove south down Route 106 to Hicksville...much of the snow was gone.

Wow, how high is the elevation around Fort Salonga, William?

Indeed. The area up by Beaver Lake was beautiful. In case you don't know that is in the vicinity of Mill Neck. Driving through those small windy roads provided some great views of frozen ponds and lakes with many sheltered areas where snow appeared to be almost 10 inches deep still. Really quite impressive.

Some unofficial Long Island season to date snowfall totals through 2/24/2011:

Centerport: 60.2" (NWS Cooperative)

Upton: 60.2" (NWS Office)

Mt. Sinai: 54.6" (NWS Cooperative)

Islip Airport: 53.2" (FAA Contract Observer)

I've measured 58.2" in Port Jefferson, but I'm not a government observer.

Archived