• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Doppler radar information request

NeffsvilleWx

I'm in the planning stages of  a senior design project required for completion of a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology. I'm thinking about building a small scale doppler capable of measuring precipitation intensity in my backyard.

Is anyone able to provide any technical information regarding the meteorological use of radar? Links, notes and/or applicable textbook recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Are you looking more for weather radar signal processing or how to interpret meteorological features using radar? The big textbook we use here for radar (especially toward the engineering side) is Doppler Radar and Weather Observations by Richard J. Doviak and Dusan S. Zrnic. AFAIK it is considered the Bible of weather radar textbooks, though others certainly exist, though I suspect it will have what you're seeking. I would consider it graduate-level, IMO, though I found it challenging since I lacked any EE background personally. If you're looking for radar polarimetry textbooks, I haven't read it personally but I've heard people reference Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar: Principles and Applications by V. Bringi and V. Chandrasekar. 

Are you looking more for weather radar signal processing or how to interpret meteorological features using radar? The big textbook we use here for radar (especially toward the engineering side) is Doppler Radar and Weather Observations by Richard J. Doviak and Dusan S. Zrnic. AFAIK it is considered the Bible of weather radar textbooks, though others certainly exist, and I suspect it will have what you're seeking. If you're looking for radar polarimetry textbooks, I haven't read it personally but I've heard people reference Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar: Principles and Applications by V. Bringi and V. Chandrasekar. 

I'm not interested in how to interpret features using doppler, rather, the design and theory of operation of it. As I said, I'm interested only in measuring reflectivity which is merely the strength of the returned radar pulses. This includes signal processing as turning the returns into useable graphical data is necessary.

I'm familiar with radar on a basic level as I spent years as an RF technician working on circuits for military radar applications. It's the actual design process that I'm curious about. I realize that the technical design of radar might be beyond the knowledge of most mets because it's more engineering than meteorology, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

I'm not interested in how to interpret features using doppler, rather, the design and theory of operation of it. As I said, I'm interested only in measuring reflectivity which is merely the strength of the returned radar pulses. This includes signal processing as turning the returns into useable graphical data is necessary.

I'm familiar with radar on a basic level as I spent years as an RF technician working on circuits for military radar applications. It's the actual design process that I'm curious about. I realize that the technical design of radar might be beyond the knowledge of most mets because it's more engineering than meteorology, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

I definitely think the first book by Doviak and Zrnic will be just what you need. Good luck! 

Archived