• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Valdez Alaska avalanche

cut

So this is really cool footage and you can hear the copter pilot talking about the topography.  At 2:29 you can hear him say 'and this lake, it was never here before'.  Which makes me think ahead to when the dam that is constructed from the detritus from the avalanche (snow) melts.  I know that there are some serious instances of glacial lakes melting and draining very quickly, causing serious damage and harm in the Himalayas.  I would imagine that this has the potential to be somewhat similar as all that water is allowed to flow.  From what I can gather it is all going to want to rush down the ravine that we are flying in at the beginning of the video.  Cool stuff, and I hope they document it as it happens.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=999_1391126821&use_old_player=1

This is Keystone Canyon.  The river that flows along the highway through the canyon is the Lowe River.  The river expands dramatically as it comes out of the canyon and heads towards Port Valdez.  

The river has actually slowly drained as the avalanche diverted the river through an old railroad tunnel in the canyon.  There is no longer any flood threat.  In fact, DOT crews are working to clear the avalanche now.  

Archived