• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Snow in South Africa

QVectorman

Maybe the very fact that it was posted in the Climate Change forum?

There is a thread in here about the U.S. having warmest spring on record. If a southern African nation, or any country anywhere, has their coldest winter (or whatever season) on record or close to it, would that qualify for a climate change thread?

There is a thread in here about the U.S. having warmest spring on record. If a southern African nation, or any country anywhere, has their coldest winter (or whatever season) on record or close to it, would that qualify for a climate change thread?

It would be at least more justifiable than a single weather event.

Did I say they were opposite ends of the spectrum? I was specifically referring to alarmists as those that interpret everything AGW-related through catastrophe-tinted glasses.

Skeptics being anyone who is skeptical of AGW (or at least how it is presented), in one way or another. That spectrum has a wide range, and would include denialists at the far end.

Even if unintentional, it was implied. When you compare the opinions/actions of exactly two opposing groups, the implication is that they're analogous with each other.

Even if unintentional, it was implied. When you compare the opinions/actions of exactly two opposing groups, the implication is that they're analogous with each other.

Fair enough. Wasn't my intent, but I see what you're saying.

I've always thought that classifying people into two completely separate and opposite camps on AGW is too simplistic. Honestly, part of the problem is that the term "skeptic" reasonably covers a lot wider range of the spectrum than just about anything else. I would say some of the most active posters on this forum are definitely alarmists (just look at how many END IS NEAR type posts have been in the Arctic ice thread recently), probably more than outright denialists.

Fair enough. Wasn't my intent, but I see what you're saying.

I've always thought that classifying people into two completely separate and opposite camps on AGW is too simplistic. Honestly, part of the problem is that the term "skeptic" reasonably covers a lot wider range of the spectrum than just about anything else. I would say some of the most active posters on this forum are definitely alarmists (just look at how many END IS NEAR type posts have been in the Arctic ice thread recently), probably more than outright denialists.

Very much so.

Move the thread where ever anyone wishes. I just assumed it would have gotten moved here anyways by Adam bc I'm sure it would have turned into a climate debate any how on Wx & forecasting and he would have got aggravated and moved it. Sorry if I offended anyone by starting in this forum.

Move the thread where ever anyone wishes. I just assumed it would have gotten moved here anyways by Adam bc I'm sure it would have turned into a climate debate any how on Wx & forecasting and he would have got aggravated and moved it. Sorry if I offended anyone by starting in this forum.

I don't feel it's out of place to talk about anomalous weather in the Southern Hemisphere. I thought it was rather refreshing, actually, since so many of the Climate Change threads are focused on the US, Arctic, or the NH in general. I thought that QV's OP on the snowfall in Africa was simply a way to open the discussion, not an attempt to settle the topic one way or the other..

What information is there available on climate change in the SH? The only thing that I'm aware of is that CH4 levels are much lower there. With CH4 being the second most powerful GG I'd expect slightly less warming than in the north. Is this how things are playing out?

Terry

I haven't seen a lot of research expressly for the SH out side of Antarctica - which I attribute to most of the researchers being from the NH. But you are correct, the SH is warming more slowly than the NH. Here is the current NASA plot:

NASA-GISS_NS_sm.jpg

The reason I've read for the disparity is the difference in land area between the NH and SH. Land and shallow coastal water heating up faster than deep oceans. But I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the lower GHG concentrations are also a factor.

Archived