• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Seattle/Portland snow

Cheeznado

hey guys... so i was reading an article from Yahoo about the Seattle snow and i stumbled upon this statement...

-"Why Did Seattle Get All This Snow?"

http://news.yahoo.co...-230903274.html

is this even accurate?? i look at the W Pacific weather practically everyday and i don't remember any extra-tropical low that went as far south as 20N; most of them exited right off Japan IIRC...

Actually, by late January into mid February it's entirely possible for a Polar Front to develop in the Gulf of Tonkin or east of Luzon since the Polar Front's mean position at that time of the year is arpund 15N east of Luzon. When I was there in the Philippines we would see one or two of those type systems develop every year and the stronger ones would end up dumping heavy snow on Tokyo. I think, however, in this case the reference refers to an Atmospheric River or moisture plume extending back to the Philippines which is possible and does not necessarily imply an ET Low back there. This would be similar to the Pineapple Express plumes from HI into CA.

Steve

Actually, by late January into mid February it's entirely possible for a Polar Front to develop in the Gulf of Tonkin or east of Luzon since the Polar Front's mean position at that time of the year is arpund 15N east of Luzon. When I was there in the Philippines we would see one or two of those type systems develop every year and the stronger ones would end up dumping heavy snow on Tokyo. I think, however, in this case the reference refers to an Atmospheric River or moisture plume extending back to the Philippines which is possible and does not necessarily imply an ET Low back there. This would be similar to the Pineapple Express plumes from HI into CA.

Steve

ohh, okay i kinda understand now.. .thanks!

Archived