• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Interesting information about Flight 447

I'm sure everyone remembers the Air France flight 447 crash back in June 2009. There have been alot of topics on aviation disasters and I think Flight 447 deserves the most attention not only because there were no survivors but also because it occured over the ocean and without witnesses. The prevailing theory is that instrument malfunction caused the plane to crash as a result of pilot error but the weather conditions present at the time of the accident also deeply contributed to the crash.

Here is a webpage summarizing the weather conditions and how and why the plane crashed after entering a mesoscale convective complex in the intertropical convergence zone along the flight path. Reanalysis revealed that the convection was extremely deep and extended beyond the flight level of the plane (35,000 ft) and it explains why the plane could not avoid the thunderstorms. It's impossible to know what really happened but it was a perfect combination of factors that caused the fatal ice accretions and instrumental errors that brought the plane down. I hope you enjoy this fascinating read.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/tim/af447/

Flight path of flight 447, from Wikipedia

358px-AF_447_path-notext.svg.png

Archived