Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Naomi Klein’s Inconvenient Climate Conclusions

bobbutts

Naomi Klein’s Inconvenient Climate Conclusions

Interesting thoughts imo about what needs to be done for a more reasoned approach to climate change. Also thought the explanations about why liberals and conservatives choose their perspectives was insightful.

Thanks for that, but what was the more reasoned approach? I think I missed it.

Conservatives hate the idea of government involvement, yet how else to make the rapid and substantial changes required? Denying science for deep rooted, psychological, ideological reasons doesn't help resolve the situation at all. Vested interests in the status quo will fight for ever to maintain their prosperity, science be damned if it means they are the losers in the process.

By reasoned approach, I was thinking more about things like:

She challenges the environmental left to embrace this reality instead of implying that modest changes in lifestyle and shopping habits and the like can decarbonize human endeavors on a crowding planet.

and the US taking an honest seat at climate talks, rather than institutionally burying our head in the sand wrt the history and future of climate change

I'm bored stiff of the denier vs. believer crap, I think I've personally taken everything that I'm going to from that argument.

and I love this

And we’re all almost certainly wrong in one way or another in any case, given how both nature and technological leaps continue to surprise the best planners and analysts.

Way too many are way too overconfident in all of this.

By reasoned approach, I was thinking more about things like:

and the US taking an honest seat at climate talks, rather than institutionally burying our head in the sand wrt the history and future of climate change

I'm bored stiff of the denier vs. believer crap, I think I've personally taken everything that I'm going to from that argument.

and I love this

Way too many are way too overconfident in all of this.

Changing to compact fluorescents, maintaining proper tire air pressure, turning down the thermostat and similar personal decisions may save money and collectively save energy, but accomplishes next to nothing in slowing down climate change.

Nothing less than a wholesale international agreement to curb emissions, transitioning to alternatives to fossil fuels and halting deforestation will provide any hope for meaningful mitigation to this problem.

We are all sick of the crap getting in the way of doing anything at all, never mind anything at all meaningful. We do nothing at all and the powers that be are determined to keep it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Klein basically is saying that Capitalism as it has evolved into the last 3 decades - 'mass consumption based' runaway consumerism cannot be sustained as it is and has been on fossil fuels for energy.

She is right of course- we shall all learn soon enough.

"The piece begins with Klein’s conclusion, reached after she spent time at a conclave on climate sponsored by the libertarian Heartland Institute, that passionate corporate and conservative foes of curbs on greenhouse gases are right in asserting that a meaningful response to global warming would be a fatal blow to free markets and capitalism."

Brainwashing works

"The piece begins with Klein’s conclusion, reached after she spent time at a conclave on climate sponsored by the libertarian Heartland Institute, that passionate corporate and conservative foes of curbs on greenhouse gases are right in asserting that a meaningful response to global warming would be a fatal blow to free markets and capitalism."

Brainwashing works

This idea being promulgated by the political right that capitalism is doomed by a restriction on fossil fuel use is nothing but an irrational fear. The only way to mitigate global warming and transition to cleaner, renewable energy sources is by the replacement of the old ways of doing things with new ways. This is obviously are very large task, yet we have to do it eventually anyway since fossil fuels are a finite resource. Because of the threat of AGW, the sooner the better. Replace, not do without.

We are trying to bring about a sustainable future if at all possible with regard to resources and the environment, not plunge prosperous nations into subsistence. If we can't do it, then we are doomed in the end anyway. Time and resources are limited and this transition will be slower, harder and more expensive the longer we wait.

Archived