• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nino region data

weatherwiz

I had the link bookmarked on my old computer, however, I do not have it on this computer unfortunately. Anyways, I'm looking for something exactly similar to this, however, the data goes back to sometime in the late 1800's I believe...like mid 1860's or something.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/sstoi.indices

What I want to do is compose trimonthly ONI values dating back to however long the records go back to.

The best I know of is this site http://jisao.washington.edu/data/globalsstenso/. This isn't the same region that the ONI is based on, but there's not really anything special about the ONI's region. What do you plan to do with these values once you compare them? Are you looking for anything in particular?

Thanks!

What I would like to do is create trimonthly running means of the data, similar to how the ONI is broken down. Would like to generate a list of ENSO years dating back prior to 1950 and have everything broken into trimonthly data.

Thanks!

What I would like to do is create trimonthly running means of the data, similar to how the ONI is broken down. Would like to generate a list of ENSO years dating back prior to 1950 and have everything broken into trimonthly data.

Ah yes, but once you have these data, then what? The reason I ask is that different Nino indices have pros and cons that largely depend on what you plan to use the data for.

Ah yes, but once you have these data, then what? The reason I ask is that different Nino indices have pros and cons that largely depend on what you plan to use the data for.

Well since I'm really into long-range forecasting and would like to better myself at it or at least understand certain concepts better when composing analog years based on ENSO using the ONI I'm only limited to year dating back to 1950. When reading long-range stuff from other posters I often see years being listed prior to 1950. If I were able to see past ENSO years prior to 1950 I think it could increase my understanding of ENSO events and the influences each have on the pattern...I could also incorporate teleconnections such as the PDO/NAO as there are data for these indices dating back into the mid to late 1800's as well.

If I'm not completely clear on something or there is anything I said that sounds confusing just let me know...sometimes I have trouble trying to explain myself :lol:

Archived