• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Forecast Contest - Looking for Feedback on Interest

Hello all. I am currently in the early stages of potentially developing and hosting a forecast contest that would be open for all. Through sponshorship, there is a fairly good chance that we would be able to award a prize to the winner. There would be no fee to enter.

The format of the contest is TBD, but we realize with busy schedules, we would perhaps have something on a once a week basis and a seasonal type of contest. We hope that it could be the first of a series of contests for the future.

One of the main goals of the forecast contest would be to provide a fun, challenging way for all weather enthusiasts and professionals to participate. Since the Weather Challenge is only open to those who are students or alumni, it would be great to provide a formal contest that all can participate.

I would just like to hear back from folks to see if this is something you might be interested in participating in the future. Please reply here if it's something that might interest you.

Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always interested in a good contest. It lets the competitive side in me come out :)

Would this be modeled similarity to the WxChallenge, or do yOu have a different system in mind?

It would be different from the WxChallenge format, but similar in the fact that it will be hosted on an external website and not run manually on American Weather. It'll also be a fairly simple and straightforward type of contest and likely just require a once a week submission.

One possible format would be a weekly snowfall accumulation contest for a handful of climatologically snowy U.S. cities, whereby you would select ranges of accumulation amounts and weight them by percentages.

It's going to be a matter of finding the time to build it along side my normal job, but I'm hoping if it's kept relatively simple, that it's maybe something I could turnaround rather quickly.

Archived