• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Wilkes County,NC Tornado

WilkesboroDude

The first tornado warning failed to materialize. The second warning dropped one several minutes later in the same general area. This was on the side of a mountain and was very unexpected.

UPDATE:

Scanner said they finally got through the debris on the road.

No injuries as of the moment.

Nobody allowed on Greenstreet.

Possible Gas leak.

UPDATE 2

Tornado was actually caught from a store cam.

Moderate damage to homes.

Could be the highest rated tornado in Wilkes history to my knowledge.

All of these photos are from WXII12.

PHOTO_14936921_51585_22854510_ap.jpg

29088945_640X358.jpg

PHOTO_14936923_51585_22854510_ap.jpg

UPDATE: I think everyone has been accounted for. My local pizza store caught the tornado on cam.They were terrified.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA 532 PM EDT TUE SEP 6 2011 ...THE NWS HAS COMPLETED A PRELIMINARY SURVEY OF STORM DAMAGE NEAR ABSHERS IN WILKES COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN BLACKSBURG VA HAS SURVEYED STORM DAMAGE NEAR ABSHERS IN WILKES COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA WHICH OCCURRED ON SEPTEMBER 5, 2011. HERE ARE SOME INITIAL CONCLUSIONS ABOUT THIS DAMAGE. IT WAS DETERMINED THE DAMAGE WAS CAUSED BY AN EF1 TORNADO...WITH MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 100-105 MPH. THE TORNADO FIRST TOUCHED DOWN AT AROUND 5:30 PM EDT ON GREEN STREET MOUNTAIN ROAD...JUST SOUTH OF LONG BOTTOM ROAD BETWEEN ABSHERS AND JOYNES. IT TRACKED NORTHWARD TOWARD STONE MOUNTAIN STATE PARK...DESTROYING 14 OUTBUILDINGS AND DOING AT LEAST MINOR DAMAGE TO THREE HOMES. A LARGE OAK TREE WAS UPROOTED NEAR THE INITIAL TOUCHDOWN POINT. THERE WAS INTERMITTENT TREE DAMAGE IN THE SOUTHERN PART OF STONE MOUNTAIN STATE PARK AS WELL. A FINAL ASSESSMENT INCLUDING SPECIFIC DETAILS ABOUT PATH LENGTH AND WIDTH...AS WELL AS LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE COORDINATES...ARE EXPECTED TO BE COMPLETED AND TRANSMITTED VIA ANOTHER PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT BEFORE 10PM EDT.

I contacted WXII12 and they told me a news crews will investigate the area when they are allowed in.

EDIT - I contacted a local tornado chaser/photojournalist and he told me he should have it on the news at 11pm tonight.

I have a friend there and he says this was not a big deal. No real damage.

I contacted WXII12 and they told me a news crews will investigate the area when they are allowed in.

EDIT - I contacted a local tornado chaser/photojournalist and he told me he should have it on the news at 11pm tonight.

They may or may not. Never know with them

Their engineer is my wife's cousin. He took me there two weeks ago and showed me their weather computers. We found a thunderstorm in Lenoir that Michele Kennedy didn't see. Last Christmas i looked at the computes at Fox 8. Van Denton is the best for our local area. Austin Caviness is pretty good and real nice guy too. He has been to our Church several times and have talked with him several times. He needs to be the chief met on channel 12

They may or may not. Never know with them

Their engineer is my wife's cousin. He took me there two weeks ago and showed me their weather computers. We found a thunderstorm in Lenoir that Michele Kennedy didn't see. Last Christmas i looked at the computes at Fox 8. Van Denton is the best for our local area. Austin Caviness is pretty good and real nice guy too. He has been to our Church several times and have talked with him several times. He needs to be the chief met on channel 12

WXII12 came and shot some video. Not sure what they got. Seeing how people were not allowed down that road. William Bottomley told me to turn on WXII12 tonight so..I think he got it.

Archived