• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New York City weather book

I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen or owns the book

New York City weather: a chronicle of events by Roger Brickner (2006)

It's not for sale anywhere and it's only in 1 library according to Worldcat

I tried to get it through interlibrary loan but was unsuccesful.

I just wanted to know what all is in it.

It's also herehttp://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim/?section=menu&%20target=weather_pubs

thanks

I tried to get it through interlibrary loan but was unsuccesful.

I just wanted to know what all is in it.

It's also herehttp://climate.rutge...et=weather_pubs

thanks

Gee I guess I'll take that as a "No"

I am good friends with Roger and have a copy of this book. I don't know how he circulated it (not sure if he even did, at least in wide distribution).

My husband and I got this book from him years ago (I think in '07), and haven't look at it closely. I think I know where it is and will take a look. Will try to post general info on the book this week (busy even though on vacation).

Roger lives in NH now last I checked. He's got the Museum of American Weather at his place there. Nice guy!

--Turtle

I am good friends with Roger and have a copy of this book. I don't know how he circulated it (not sure if he even did, at least in wide distribution).

My husband and I got this book from him years ago (I think in '07), and haven't look at it closely. I think I know where it is and will take a look. Will try to post general info on the book this week (busy even though on vacation).

Roger lives in NH now last I checked. He's got the Museum of American Weather at his place there. Nice guy!

--Turtle

that would be cool, thanks alot

Hello!

Found the book, finally.

As it turns out, I have Volume One of two volumes, entitled "New York City Weather: A Chronicle of Events, Volume One 1609-1929."

I have looked through the book and it doesn't have an ISBN, which I think means it's not registered at the Library of Congress. We received an autographed copy of this book around Christmas of 2005 (not 2007 as I previously thought). At that time, he stated that the second volume (probably 1930-2004 or 2005) was being printed and would send it to us. I asked the hub and he doesn't recall getting it. Neither do I. Oh well.

First, Roger dedicated this volume to Dr. David Ludlum, whom had passed away in 2005.

This book is in nine chapters: 1609-1799, 1800-1839, 1840-1869, then he goes by decade from 1870 until 1929. There is a bit of the history of New York City woven in at the beginning of each chapter. (Roger is a retired history teacher from the NYC public schools as I recall, so this just fits right in.) Then, he chronicles the major weather events in each of the timespans of the particular chapter. Examples: The Hurricane of September 9, 1769; Snow Hurricane - October 9, 1804; A tremendous snowstorm and frigid February - Januay 9-February 29, 1836; Triple Storms of December 1839; Henry Thoreau's long, snowy winter - December 28, 1855 to April 1, 1856; The Queens/Brooklyn twister of June 21, 1858; Extensive tornadoes - May 11, 1865; Great Blizzard of 1888 (3/11-14). It goes on and on. He doesn't write a whole lot about the early events, but as time marches on, he writes more and more about each of the chronicled events. He does a great mix, from winter storms to heat waves, tropical systems and waterspouts.

As one would expect, with a small printing shop publishing the book (not even listed in my copy) that probably didn't have an independent editor, there are some minor editing problems, including the chapter pages listed in the table of contents. From Chapter 3 to the last chapters, the chapter start page were listed two pages after the actual start (i.e. chapter 3 starts on page 57, not 59 as listed). Lastly, starting on page 213, he lists the weather data by months, temperatures from 1822 to 1929, precipitation from 1826 to 1929, and snowfall from 1869 to 1929, along with some highlights listed for each parameter. I don't know much about NYC weather, so I have to take Roger's word for it that the data is correct. This volume covers 237 pages, but is a compact book.

Roger also self published "The Long Island Express: Tracking the Hurricane of 1938," which was came out during the 50th anniversary year of 1988. This book (again no ISBN) was published through Hodgins Printing Co. of Batavia, NY. Back then, there was a weather group going called the Long Island Weather Observers. They held a 50th anniversary commemoration of the hurricane in Lake Ronkonkoma which included Nick Gregory (still on TV in NYC!!), David Ludlum, Glenn Schwartz (sound familiar?) and, yes, David Toleris (hmmmm!!!). I got to attend this event and really enjoyed it.

If I get my hands on Volume Two, I'll let you know.

--Turtle

Archived