• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mississippi State University

I just started in the program this Summer and I'm currently in the NWP class. It's based off of a lot of MetEd Comet Modules(UCAR helped build the AMP program) so there's not much math in it at all. It's more about understanding conceptual ideas. It's a 10-week class(compared to 15 weeks during a regular semester) so a lot of the assignments are condensed and deadlines come up quickly. So far I'm doing really well in the class and the professor(s) is easy to email and will respond back quickly with any questions you may have on a topic.

This is my first time taking any type of class online and with no real instruction(no vids or live chats in this particular class-just discussions on a discussion board) and you just have to structure your time wisely.

I too am interested in hearing more about this program. I have put the word out to some of my colleagues and so far the response from one of my undergraduate professors was that he had not heard of this program. Another friend knows a few people that are currently taking courses and they said there are real math assignments, dynamics, and a thesis. That's all I have so far but would love to hear more if anyone knows anything else.

I'm extremely skeptical about the rigor of such a program.

Some red flags from someone who holds both a MS and PhD in atmospheric science:

1) there is not one PhD-holding faculty member in Meteorology (i.e. holds their PhD in atmospheric science and/or meteorology).

2) the price (~$300 / credit hour and total cost of ~12 K) vs. the quality of education (I didn't pay a cent for either of my graduate degrees and either did 75% of the student population in atmospheric science because of the availability of teaching/research assistantships, which provide full tuition, insurance, and a living stipend (~$18 to 24 K)).

3) I would be surprised if the NWS would consider this degree as graduate work (even if they consulted the NWS in its development), as far as I am concerned a holder of this degree would be lucky to satisfy the partial graduate work threshold, and with so many people graduating from accredited atmospheric science graduate programs and competing for NWS jobs, a holder of this degree will still likely find it difficult to gain employment in the NWS.

4) consulting with UCAR/COMET does not make it an accredited program, so consult with the staff at MSU and question about how this degree is ultimately perceived in the field.

1) there is not one PhD-holding faculty member in Meteorology (i.e. holds their PhD in atmospheric science and/or meteorology).

2) the price (~$300 / credit hour and total cost of ~12 K) vs. the quality of education (I didn't pay a cent for either of my graduate degrees and either did 75% of the student population in atmospheric science because of the availability of teaching/research assistantships, which provide full tuition, insurance, and a living stipend (~$18 to 24 K)).

3) I would be surprised if the NWS would consider this degree as graduate work (even if they consulted the NWS in its development), as far as I am concerned a holder of this degree would be lucky to satisfy the partial graduate work threshold, and with so many people graduating from accredited atmospheric science graduate programs and competing for NWS jobs, a holder of this degree will still likely find it difficult to gain employment in the NWS.

4) consulting with UCAR/COMET does not make it an accredited program, so consult with the staff at MSU and question about how this degree is ultimately perceived in the field.

That's really helpful, thanks. If you look at the textbooks they use, some are very elementary. e.g.: Earth Systems, by Kump, 3rd edition, Climatology, by Oliver, 3rd edition, The Atmosphere by Lutgens, 11th edition,

Don't you think I thought about some of those things before I started? I talked to Doug Gillham via email and phone calls about some of those concerns because I was skeptical(especially when they have that undergrad meteorology "certificate" program and I expressed my displeasure about it as I went to a four-year school to obtain my undergrad degree).

By the way here's a few more professor profiles that aren't on that main page:

http://www.geosciences.msstate.edu/people/carter/index.htm (finishing up his PhD)

http://www.geosciences.msstate.edu/people/keeney/index.htm

I wish you the best of luck with your degree, but I can't in good faith recommend a program such as that, advertising itself as a graduate program.

Don't you think I thought about some of those things before I started? I talked to Doug Gillham via email and phone calls about some of those concerns because I was skeptical(especially when they have that undergrad meteorology "certificate" program and I expressed my displeasure about it as I went to a four-year school to obtain my undergrad degree).

By the way here's a few more professor profiles that aren't on that main page:

http://www.geoscienc...arter/index.htm (finishing up his PhD)

http://www.geoscienc...eeney/index.htm

(Shameless shout-out...)

Another option for those interested in a small/new meteorology grad program might be FIU here in Miami. We are adding a 4th PhD faculty member this fall and will likely be adding several more grad students in fall 2012. We also have the NHC and the NWS WFO-Miami on our campus only 5 minutes away. Several of our students work/intern at the NHC/NWS. Contact the program chair, Dr. Hugh Willoughby for more info. MS and PhD tracks are available. It is definitely worth applying if you are interested in tropical meteorology. The small size of the program is very nice for individual interaction with professors and it includes full dynamics (Holton) and physics like all of the more commonly known programs.

Archived