• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Anyone read/use the Tim Vasquez Weather books....

I just ordered the Weather Map Handbook (http://www.weathergraphics.com/mapbook/) and the Weather forecasting Handbook (http://www.weathergraphics.com/fcstbook/). Has anyone read or used these in their schooling? I'm not a MET but I took a MET track option (17 credit hours) en route to an Earth Science degree and minor in Physics so I hoping these books are advanced enough to teach me things I do not already know. I want to beef up my winter forecasting so along with them I'll probably go through all the bufkit tutorials and watch all those videos..They looked pretty good.

So I was wondering if anyone used/ has them or can comment on them? I will offer a small review when they arrive after I check them out.

i own three (wx map, wx forecasting, red book) and love them. in fact, my ATMO 203 weather forecasting lab here at A&M used the wx map handbook as the central text for the course.

I saw the red book but according to the description it looked a little more basic than the other weather forecasting book so I avoided it .I too had a weather forecasting lab (Weather forecasting and analysis) but I think only 5-10% of it was useful to me. I didn't expect to spend time hand drawing and coloring isobars, isotachs, etc. in a 200 level MTR course. I did that in high school. It was a disapointment to say the least.

Is the forecasting section in the Red Book worth buying or is it basic?

I saw the red book but according to the description it looked a little more basic than the other weather forecasting book so I avoided it.I too had a weather forecasting labs (Weather forecasting and analysis) but I think only 5-10% of it was useful. I didn't expect to spend time hand drawing and coloring isobars, isotachs, etc. in a 200 level MTR course. It was a disapointment to say the least.

Is the forecasting section in the Red Book worthy buying or is basic?

the red book is actually the one i've spent the least amount of time reading, but from what i have read in it, i think it's incredibly useful. some of it is a summation of info from the other books, but there are a ton of great tips and insight into the forecasting aspects of various weather patterns that i hadn't heard before (but i may be on a more basic level than you). the information is pretty simple and practical in terms of using it in forecasting, which for me is a big plus because i'm treating this as a hobby rather than an area of serious study.

and i assume that these weather forecasting tutorials are far too basic for you, but for anyone else reading the thread interested in learning the foundations of this topic, the atmo department here has compiled some great online tutorials that walk the reader through various atmospheric processes and forecasting techniques.

http://atmo.tamu.edu/class/atmo203/tutorials.html

the red book is actually the one i've spent the least amount of time reading, but from what i have read in it, i think it's incredibly useful. some of it is a summation of info from the other books, but there are a ton of great tips and insight into the forecasting aspects of various weather patterns that i hadn't heard before (but i may be on a more basic level than you). the information is pretty simple and practical in terms of using it in forecasting, which for me is a big plus because i'm treating this as a hobby rather than an area of serious study.

and i assume that these weather forecasting tutorials are far too basic for you, but for anyone else reading the thread interested in learning the foundations of this topic, the atmo department here has compiled some great online tutorials that walk the reader through various atmospheric processes and forecasting techniques.

http://atmo.tamu.edu.../tutorials.html

Thanks for the response.

Its a hobby for me too but I just want to be good at it. I feel okay at forecasting but then when I would come here (Eastern) I felt like I knew very little when reading what others wrote. So I just want to brush up a bit.

Those tutorials look good for people knew to the field :)

I'll come back to this thread and update when the books arrive.

Archived