• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hansen profits handsomely from AGW activism?

Ed Lizard

The NASA scientist who once claimed the Bush administration tried to "silence" his global warming claims is now accused of receiving more than $1.2 million from the very environmental organizations whose agenda he advocated.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/22/nasa-scientist-accused-using-celeb-status-among-environmental-groups-to-enrich/#ixzz1Q0KRI4nP

It is Faux Noise, so no doubt it is all steenking propaganda from Exxon. Certainly George Stephanopoulos's ABC news would report it if it was worth knowing about.

Whew,

That is a lot of money.

I guess the question is where the money went. Did it go to him personally, or did it go into grants and fellowships for supporting research?

I don't think I would consider waved registration fees for a conference as being the same as a cash gift. Likewise, while I might ask why he needed 3/4 of a million dollars worth of legal fees, I wouldn't consider waved legal fees as equivalent to a cash gift.

The lawsuit is probably junk (in other words, Hansen probably didn't do anything illegal), but the fact remains that he is getting money from these outside organizations that have certain agendas. And it is definitely tied to his AGW/environmental activism. So whether you think it is right or wrong, deserved or not, he is profitting from it.

The lawsuit is probably junk (in other words, Hansen probably didn't do anything illegal), but the fact remains that he is getting money from these outside organizations that have certain agendas. And it is definitely tied to his AGW/environmental activism. So whether you think it is right or wrong, deserved or not, he is profitting from it.

If he's still a Federal Employee, then there are certain no-no's involved here especially if he uses his status as a Federal Employee. If he's left NASA then it's probably okay as long as he obeys the tax rules.

Steve

If he's still a Federal Employee, then there are certain no-no's involved here especially if he uses his status as a Federal Employee. If he's left NASA then it's probably okay as long as he obeys the tax rules.

Steve

Well, I've already made it clear that I think his activism interferes with his role as a federal employee...it could certainly be argued that this is an example of that, even if nothing illegal was done.

One can't always control when a political organization chooses to honor a person with an award.

Barack Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize for his promise to end 2 wars (what was that about not ending the wars and starting a 3rd war?).

But, he donated the equivalent of the $1.4 million dollar award to charity.

If Jim Hansen profited from his position at NASA, he should likewise donate his award money, or use it to invest in research.

One can't always control when a political organization chooses to honor a person with an award.

Barack Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize for his promise to end 2 wars (what was that about not ending the wars and starting a 3rd war?).

But, he donated the equivalent of the $1.4 million dollar award to charity.

If Jim Hansen profited from his position at NASA, he should likewise donate his award money, or use it to invest in research.

But in Hansen's case, his activism gets more attention because of his position at NASA. Which is part of the reason he gets all of these monetary awards from organizations supporting environmental activism.

But in Hansen's case, his activism gets more attention because of his position at NASA. Which is part of the reason he gets all of these monetary awards from organizations supporting environmental activism.

Likewise, Obama was granted his award due to his political position and ideology. And, thus he donated the winnings to charity.

Jim Hansen should donate his winnings to either supporting a research lab, or to charity.

It's good for Hansen he wasn't around centuries earlier....for he'd likely be burned at the stake for heresy. But on second thought, he (and many of the rest of us) would have already been wiped out by the Crusade against believers in evolution.

:pimp:

The irony is rich in that one.

Archived