• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GRLevel 3 Placefile

In GRLevel3 you can toggle on range rings from the radar site. That is useful but for me I wanted have range rings from my location (of choice). I had created placefiles to draw simple polygons and such but a ring would be much more difficult. I didn't have time to figure it out and I had hoped someone else could just whip something up. So I asked and Patrick Marsh did just that. I was thinking of some Excel spreadsheet and formula but instead he made a wonderful webpage to handle it. Anyone can use it! Here are the 25 KM and 50 KM from my home! Yeah, my home!

It is way cool so now go make your own! - http://grx.forwarn.org/make_range_rings/

Not sure what you mean by one ring at a time?

Using the range rings built into GRLevel 3, you can plan a single marker and have the predefined range rings extend out from that marker. If you were to want two markers and rings active at once, you cannot do that with the built in feature.

With the ability to make your own place file that mimics the range range ring feature, you can have two maker locations and two ring sets active. This might come in handy of you were wanting to track storms for two locations as an example. One idea I have is to make sets that are in 5 MPH increments so lets assume storms moving in at 50 MPH, then I can enable the place file for showing the storm relative to my home at 15, 30, 45, and 60 minute times. I can make another set for 35 MPH storms so whatever is the storm motion, I can select the appropriate set of rings.

This was a feature I wanted anyway.

Archived