• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Question about NWS entry level intern position..

Hi – just curious about the entry level intern NWS jobs (career-conditional positions, not SCEP). What is this position like for people who have been in the private sector for a number of years and then start out as say, gs-9? I’ve heard you don’t actually do a lot of forecasting your first year which makes sense in a way since its entry level except that these days a good number of people who start as interns have a fair bit of experience under their belts gained elsehwhere. I’ve read the job descriptions but just wondering how people have found it as I don’t know many people in the NWS.

There's a lot of training the first year or so. Forecaster development courses, radar, awoc, etc. It depends on what office you go to...but most will start you at the HMT desk doing data quality control, NWR, coop work and upper air if they have it. You'll have plenty of time to pick up on forecasting and issuing products like watches and warnings. You'll also be doing outreach, spotter talks etc, if you so choose, and many side projects will probably come your way like research and case studies. Interns are busy.

It's up to you how much you get out of your training and how far you advance in the first couple years. This is the time to show off your motivation and managment will certainly be looking for it.

It all depends on the office. Some are very proactive about getting the interns "forecast ready" while some (especially Upper Air offices) tend to keep them tied more toward HMT duties for the first year or so. As isohume suggested, you'll be doing a lot of training that first year. Learning terminolgy and NWS products, knobology of software, radar training (starts in fall), among other meteorological training. The other stuff is what you make of it. I've seen interns come in and jump right into outreach and spotter talks, learning systems and taking on focal points, writing research papers, etc... I've also seen interns come in an do very little. It all depends on you but obviously the former will give you the best advantage when it comes time to advance. You also have the time allowance to ask forecasters to help with their forecasts. Its a great way to gain experience while not being responsible for doing all the "little stuff". This is what every intern SHOULD do IMHO.

Bottom line, if you are considering a career in the NWS, it really doesn't matter what the job descriptions are because you'll have to go through the intern position (99% of the time). Don't come in expecting to sit on the forecast desk right off. Sometimes it takes a while. If you are coming out of the private sector you'll likely love it. I did.

Good stuff...I've been in the private sector for more than 7 years and have done forecasting, briefing, and worked on a number of side projects as well. So I'm used to doing a variety of things besides forecasting.

It all depends on the office. Some are very proactive about getting the interns "forecast ready" while some (especially Upper Air offices) tend to keep them tied more toward HMT duties for the first year or so. As isohume suggested, you'll be doing a lot of training that first year. Learning terminolgy and NWS products, knobology of software, radar training (starts in fall), among other meteorological training. The other stuff is what you make of it. I've seen interns come in and jump right into outreach and spotter talks, learning systems and taking on focal points, writing research papers, etc... I've also seen interns come in an do very little. It all depends on you but obviously the former will give you the best advantage when it comes time to advance. You also have the time allowance to ask forecasters to help with their forecasts. Its a great way to gain experience while not being responsible for doing all the "little stuff". This is what every intern SHOULD do IMHO.

Bottom line, if you are considering a career in the NWS, it really doesn't matter what the job descriptions are because you'll have to go through the intern position (99% of the time). Don't come in expecting to sit on the forecast desk right off. Sometimes it takes a while. If you are coming out of the private sector you'll likely love it. I did.

Archived