Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pac NW obs and discussion

Mallow

So I'm worried.

The models seem to be "settling" on a solution I've been worried about since last night. It wasn't shown at that time, but Arctic outbreaks tend to play this little game out here and I could see the writing on the wall already.

The initial pre-"Arctic-front" cold is modified and far less impressive (850s of -6 to -7 instead of -9)... and anything in Portland before Thursday night could potentially be rain or a rain/snow mix at the lowest elevations.

Then there's barely any moisture left as we get a cold east wind out of the Gorge (instead of a blast from the north). 850s on the GFS ensemble mean for Portland now only drop to -12C for Portland... recall just two days ago they were showing as low as -15C.

What I hate about all this is that instead of snow becoming more and more certain as the models settle on a solution that's clearly snowy, snow is becoming less and less certain as temperatures continue to drift upwards on average with each new model run. That is to say, every new GFS run isn't warmer than the previous, but the average trend is warmer from model run to model run.

Dare I say it?

It looks like all systems are go for snow. Still way too borderline for my comfort levels, but models are all consistent and show snow for sure starting Wednesday night, and possibly sooner.

At this time I'd guess 3-5 inches.

I hope it materializes for you. I know all too well about boundary layer problems. Just one of the things you have to deal with living near water.

Archived