• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
39th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference

cdmwx

Hi everyone! I posted this in Wx Forecasting & Discussion, but since the conference is pretty New England-centric, I figured this was a good spot for it as well.

I'm Chris McCray, President of the Lyndon State College Chapter of the AMS & NWA. We're happy to announce that our 39th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference (NESC) will take place Friday, March 7 through Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Holiday Inn in Rutland, Vermont. The information below is from the invitation for the conference. We hope you can attend! I'll try to keep this post updated as we move forward in our plans.

I am happy to announce the following individuals as our speakers for the 39th NESC. Our Friday Night “Ice Breaker” Speaker will be Meteorologist Matt Noyes. Matt is the primetime weekend meteorologist for New England Cable News (NECN), where he has worked since 2002. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology from Cornell University, and is a member of both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. Matt has traveled across New England to bring the science of meteorology into school classrooms, receiving a commendation from the Massachusetts State Senate for his educational efforts with children. Before joining NECN, Matt was the Morning Meteorologist at NewsChannel 34 in Binghamton, NY and a meteorologist at NewsChannel 9 in Syracuse, NY. 

This year, we are pleased to announce our Saturday night Banquet Speaker will be Christopher Joosen, Lead Snow Ranger at the Mount Washington Avalanche Center in New Hampshire. Chris holds a Government and Public Policy B.A. from Eastern Connecticut State University (1989).  Following his degree he came to the mountains full time and has been working on Mount Washington ever since.   He has been forecasting avalanche potential for the White Mountain National Forest’s Mount Washington Avalanche Center in Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines for the past 20 winters.  In 2001 he became the Lead Snow Ranger and Director, overseeing the Center's avalanche forecasting, search and rescue, and avalanche education efforts.  During his 25 years in the Presidential Mountain Range he has witnessed and endured some of Washington’s most extreme weather.  Through this time he has gained the utmost respect for severe conditions and how they impact people and the landscape they visit.

Lastly, our Sunday morning speaker will be Meteorologist Bryan Shaw. Bryan is the weekend morning meteorologist at WIVB 4, the CBS affiliate in Buffalo, New York. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology from Lyndon State College in 2008, and has quickly worked his way up in the field of broadcast meteorology. Before joining WIVB in 2011, Bryan started his career at WOAY in Beckley, WV in 2008, moving to WOWK in Huntington, WV in 2009. 

If you are interested in presenting at this conference, the abstract deadline will be in mid-January 2014. Registration will open for the conference on January 7, 2014, and will occur online via our website at http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams. For further information about registration, accommodations, and abstract submissions, please feel free to contact me. We look forward to seeing you in March!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived