• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Tornado or no?

AlexD

Local news is trying to say this: x6ejd3.jpg is a picture of a tornado, taken during the passage of an isolated thunderstorm yesterday afternoon near Lewes. Stations on air met, Dan Satterfield is agreeing, saying its a lowering wall cloud. I personally was at work during the passage of this storm, and did witness this cloud formation, or one similar to it. I didn't see very much rotation to it myself, though it was lower than the surrounding clouds. Checked radarscope to double check, and the velocity scan out of KDOX did show some weak and diffuse rotation...

Hoping for mount holly mets thoughts on this. Personally, I think it was likely just some scud clouds.

Local news is trying to say this: is a picture of a tornado, taken during the passage of an isolated thunderstorm yesterday afternoon near Lewes. Stations on air met, Dan Satterfield is agreeing, saying its a lowering wall cloud. I personally was at work during the passage of this storm, and did witness this cloud formation, or one similar to it. I didn't see very much rotation to it myself, though it was lower than the surrounding clouds. Checked radarscope to double check, and the velocity scan out of KDOX did show some weak and diffuse rotation...

Hoping for mount holly mets thoughts on this. Personally, I think it was likely just some scud clouds.

Not a Mt. Holly met, but here's myb2 cents

1) area in red is inflow/beaver tail

2) are in purple is the mesocyclone. Definite lowering on the cloud, and darker than the associated rain shaft.

hahyqyve.jpg

In a soupy set-up like that, where a tornado (if there is one) isn't obvious, you really need video to be sure.

My guess is no.  And especially not the big hangy-downy-thingy.  If it was an actual tornado, it would have any whispiness to it.  It would be sleek and smooth.

Archived