Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Heat Index question for Mt Holly area

Sunny and Warm

The following was part of the Charleston NWS office AFD today:

HIGHS WELL INTO THE 90S WITH MOST AREAS TOPPING OUT IN THE MID 90S BY MID AFTERNOON...WITH SOME UPPER 90S POSSIBLE ACROSS INTERIOR SOUTHEAST GEORGIA. DEWPOINTS ARE FORECAST TO MIX OUT INTO THE UPPER 60S TO LOWER 70S LATER

TODAY WHICH WILL PRODUCE HEAT INDEX VALUES OF 100-104 DEGREES FOR

SEVERAL HOURS DURING PEAK HEATING. A FEW SPOTS COULD TOUCH 105 FOR

ABOUT AN HOUR...ESPECIALLY WHERE DEWPOINTS POOL SLIGHTLY NEAR THE

SEA BREEZE...BUT DURATIONS OF 105+ HEAT INDICES ARE NOT EXPECTED

TO BREACH TEMPORAL REQUIREMENTS FOR A HEAT ADVISORY. NOTE...HEAT

ADVISORIES ARE ISSUED FOR HEAT INDICES OF 105-114 DEGREES

OCCURRING FOR TWO HOURS OR MORE THROUGH JUNE 30TH...AFTER WHICH

THE CRITERIA IS RAISED TO 110-114 DEGREES FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE

SUMMER. A SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT WAS ISSUED EARLIER TO HIGHLIGHT THE

FIRST REAL TASTE OF HEAT AND HUMIDITY FOR THE SUMMER SEASON.

Does Mt Holly migrate the Heat Index as the summer wear on like Charleston does, and if not, why not? I don't recall the HI criteria change over the course of a summer when I lived in PA, but may have missed it. Thanks in advance!

criteria changes in Philly and immediate metro between May and June. They use the Kalkstein method on heat advisory issuance here (and it's a quasi-sliding scale based on time of the year, impact/duration, etc.)...the NWS guys can probably talk more detail into it but I think our guidelines are much more conservative here than in even DC or NYC simply due to the amount of brick housing stock and # of places that still lack AC.

Philly & suburban counties are treated a bit differently on head advisories than say Allentown & Reading are because of the row home factor and the high mortality in the '93 heatwaves.

More on that: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/BAMS-85-8-1067

• 5 weeks later...

Is this the longest duration excessive heat warning we've had in the region since the '95 redo of the heat warnings in the metro?  I could only thumb back to 2009 on Iowa State's servers and couldn't see anything longer than 4 days in any single warning.  Gotta think the '95 heat wave probably kicked more of these out but I can't find data that old floating around.

Archived