• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 2012 Climate summaries - Mid Atlantic

Kevin Shaw

(Note: The summary below is also part of the file attached to this message. It is in PDF. I also have my daily records and my historical data summary for June included therein.

JUNE 2012 GAITHERSBURG 2WNW MD STATION HIGHLIGHTS

June 2012 was actually quite close to normal temperature-wise, and a bit drier than normal, with the 2.97" total coming in as 11th driest ever June in 34 years of records. Generally a pleasant month, with plenty of comfortable days in the beginning of the month, as the 91 max on the 10th was the only 90 or greater max temp day till the 94 hit on the 20th. The mini-heat wave at the very end of the month with 3 straight days of +90 max temps really brought the averages for the month up to normal. The 99° max on the 29th tied my all-time record high max for June - a three way tie now with June 11, 2000 and June 22, 1988. The heat on the 29th contributed to the powerful derecho thunderstorms that evening, which blew in with estimated 50+ wind gusts (only recorded a 23 MPH gust on my VP2) that brought down numerous branches and my next door neighbor's large pear tree limb. The power outage we had in our community lasted some 112.5 hours till 3 PM on July 4th. The rainiest day of the month (1.27") on the 1st did not set a daily record, but was accompanied by severe weather, with numerous thunderstorms and a significant amount of tornadoes (12 - including 4 F1 twisters) in the state of Maryland. None in my immediate area, but a few within 10 miles of my location. No other significant weather to report for June.

Thunderstorm days (4) were close to my long-term average (6) for June and measurable rainfall days (7) were a bit below the long-term average amount of 11. Two days with fog was definitely below normal, but I don't have an average amount for June to precisely compare it to. The rainfall to date for the year is now running 5.22" below normal. My lowest temperature of the month (50°) is now the 10th June to have the lowest temperature value of 50° or more since 2000.

The distribution of 16 clear, 10 partly cloudy and 4 cloudy days led to the drier than normal month. Precipitation, while meager in general, at least was spread out to keep lawns green and to limit my garden and lawn watering duties during the month.

My meager peak wind gust (PWG) for the month topped off at 23 MPH on the 29th from the W in the derecho storm that ravaged the area. Based on very local storm damage incurred in the neighborhood, I estimate exposed areas had peak wind gusts of 50+ MPH. Many other nearby locales in the area reported gusts over 50 and in some cases over 60 MPH.

The pressure extremes were about the same as May, and not really paring down to normal small differences during the summer. The lowest value of 29.63" occurred just before our coolest temperatures of the month on the 4th. The highest value of 30.36", which occurred on the 16th, occurred during one of our longer dry periods during the month, but at a time without extreme temperatures.

There were only 9 heating degree days and 218 cooling degree days, once again about normal numbers for June. Speaking of numbers, my maximum temperature frequencies include 7 days of 90 or more, 11 days from 80-89, 10 days from 70-79, and 2 days of 60-69. There were 12 days with minimum temperatures between 50-59, 14 days of 60-69, and 4 days of 70 or greater.

The diurnal range average was a tad below normal (21.4° vs. 21.8°) with a max range of 30.3° on the 9th during one of our dry periods. There were 20 days with ranges greater than 20°. Only 2 days with a range less than 10, on rainy days on the 12th (7.9°) and the 18th (6.1°).

In summary, there were a good number of pleasant days during this June, with just a few hot interludes. Unfortunately the last one from June 28-30 led into an incredible early July heat wave, which was doubly hard to endure with the first four days of July powerless due the derecho storm late on June 29, the biggest story as far as I was concerned for the month of June.

JUNE 2012 GBURG 2WNW MD STATION HIGHLIGHTS AND RECORDS.pdf

Archived