• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Best Memory (post) of the 2011 Discussion/Threads

snowNH

We all have access to the the past threads/discussions. So, simply post your best memory, preferably a members post, of 2011. We all now the pattern sucks right now and I was looking through past discussions last night to kill time and came across some funny/memorable posts. Whether it was my meltdown, Ryan actually saying he is psyched about a storm, Dryslots pictures, Tip's monologues, Litchfield's torches, CTBlizz's Wishcasts, or Ginx SOS call before Irene. It can be a direct post or a summary.

Here's mine I found from Tip on 10/28 :

"

Apples and oranges comparing last night to this next ordeal -

Folks, be wise not to fall into that trap.

First of all, heavy snow WILL ACCUMULATE and do so with ease. I think I'm done with the time of year warm earth falseness. This next event is also of an entirely diffferent dynamical ilk than last night's system, and cannot logically be used comparatively for what to expect going forward for that reason alone.

But there is more to this... This morning the ride to work featured gossamer snow covering the ground amid 31F cold with brilliant sun... The skies cleared during the overnight and temps reeled due to the new fallen snow. Just that thin aid assisted a cold realization. Though most snow will have disappeared during the day today, the region still suffered a cooling primer and soil temperatures in the contact depths have certainly cooled substantially enough. That environmental variability needs to be considered if anyone is thinking, 'Oh, it's October whatever so it won't stick' - that would be incredibly obtuse considering point 1, and this one combined.

Tonight, clear skies and DPs of 27-33F, long night with bubble high and superior radiator will drill the DP and temperature couplet down to probably the mid 20s - watch for patchy ground ice fog near streams/rivers/revenes. Decoupling shouldn't be much of a issue in achievement. This will actually "freeze" the top 1/4" of exposed surfaces.

Looking at the thermal sigma levels in the FRH grid this next system actually has the possibility of being a 29F ordeal for the interior, over the previous thinking of a 32-33F blue event. This is primarily a nocturnal event for starters, but the 800mb of -7C with dynamical cooling raging, and 980mb of only 0C at Logan with 35kt sustain middle boundary layer flow, and wind that is heavily backed (as discussed, deepening rates combined with this systems particular storm track will cause an enhanced cross-isobaric flow) into the N fending off any ocean tainting, that whole synopsis connotes 20kts sustained near for the lower levels, and about 25-30kts with gusts up near ORH, emperatures some 3 to 5F colder than that 32F at Logan.

Last night it was also discussed that the 00z surface track was not very well aligned with the best jet mechanic-derived UVM, and that the low should track closer to the where that is. That axis of best lift is often denoted by the thickness packing (for complicated physical reasons associated with q-vector restoring inflow jets) ... but the point is, the low was some 200 miles east of that axis in the 00z NAM's depiction. The 00z GFS was west, the 06z NAM came a little west, and now the 12z NAM appears closer to reality considering these deep layer observations. (ECM targeted). For that we have very good broad-spectrum model type consensus amid both the mesoscale and globally based tools. Confidence is high for a storm track from ~ southern NJ to just SE of ACK. This will unfortunately maximize this system's impact potential for those that do not wish it, and be very fortunate to those who do...

This systen should bring along superior -EPV related instability and meso banding amid a general well-described comma head. All the earmark physics for producing this are present and in anomalous form. It would not be a shocker to light up the night a couple of times and send a low decible beam-rattling boom through the country side.

This is a mid winter classic 60 to 75 days ahead of schedule.

Infrustructural issue I believe will be extreme in a narrow region where 32F. As we have collectively been onto for some time, the unusually warm weeks prior to this cold pattern arrival has seriously belated the foliage progression. Many trees are still burdened with near full-leaf out. Last night I observed a mere 1 inch of slushy snow bend limbs mightily down. This is a factor that is unusually pronounced here. I believe the colder profile that is emerging will spare a lot of the deeper interior as intimated above, but closer to I-95 and KRAY (as it were...), if the ageostrophic vector allows a coastal boundary to vascillated in that area there is going to be a problem. Not sure how to convey this without sounding hystrionic but civility really needs to be warned about this and that pervasive power failures would be a veritable certainty, and that preparations should be implemented now."

I literally wet my pants after I read that..

Archived