• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Temperature and precip types

FEFD17

We have warmer temps here in the upper Hudson Valley, instead of getting snow,we are getting rain. Will this increase the chances of getting an ice storm instead of a snow storm? I am just wondering.

If I understand what you are asking.... you are saying that it's generally been warmer so far during this past month and we've been getting more rain than snow up until this point... and I think you are wondering if this is an indicator as to whether or not we will get more ice storms vs. snow storms.. based on what has transpired so far.

There is no increase or decrease in the chances of getting any particular type of storm based on weather that has already occurred. The way the pattern has been playing out so far, with storm tracks across the country from the southwest and into the Great Lakes, the chances of creating an ice storm situation is probably a bit higher due to the fact that you generally will have a southwest wind at midlevels which could warm the atmosphere up enough to prevent snow.. With the lack of cold air so far this season and the fact that these airmasses are quick to move out, it wouldn't even favor an icing event at this point. We would need some really shallow, cold airmasses to build down and stick around to create a good icing event. Honestly, with the storm track and temp profiles we've had, it favors brief wintry precip basically changing to rain...

Archived