• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Major Upgrade to AMSU again, regarding all channels except channel 5.

BethesdaWX

Looks like, besides channel 5, the other channels being members of the NOAA 15 satellite with drft issues will be carried over to AQUA in an upgrade. This is something I've been waiting for... for a long time

http://www.drroyspencer.com/

Hopefully later this week we will transition those other channels from NOAA-15 AMSU to Aqua AMSU, so there will be no long-term drift issues from changes in the satellite observation time. The downside will be that all of the data will only be available since Aqua data started flowing, in mid-2002. (Again, the sea surface temperature variations are very accurate, and come from a completely different instrument using different methods).

Lets see what this does.

Hmmm

Apparently no updated data today.

I've backed up the data files on the website... just in case I want to reference them later.

I suppose this is an indication of the problems with satellite data. What we absolutely need is better long-term records. Trying to squeeze out as much information back to the early satellites around 1979. Are there earlier ones?

Yet, each new satellite ends up bringing more calibration woes. And, while recording times and temporal drift may not be that big of an issue with basic high/low thermometers, it is a major issue with the satellites that only take instantaneous readings.

Hmmm

Apparently no updated data today.

I've backed up the data files on the website... just in case I want to reference them later.

I suppose this is an indication of the problems with satellite data. What we absolutely need is better long-term records. Trying to squeeze out as much information back to the early satellites around 1979. Are there earlier ones?

Yet, each new satellite ends up bringing more calibration woes. And, while recording times and temporal drift may not be that big of an issue with basic high/low thermometers, it is a major issue with the satellites that only take instantaneous readings.

Much of this is true, and is the reason why several global temperature satellites, including STAR, will likely never become mainstream. NOAA 15 satellite has major Drift issues, which is why the switch to AQUA was made in 2002.

Satellite data from 1979 to the mid 1990's is in question due to less understanding of how to correct for error, upgrades were made to MSU in the mid 1990's, so after that date there is more certainty. It wasn't until a decade ago that we really got the handle on things, but I'd happily choose land data over satellite data before 1995.

Wow..

Data published up until June 8 !!!!!!!!!!!

http://discover.itsc...S_ch05.r002.txt

It looks like it will take a few days for the bugs to get worked out of the new system. I'm curious what the actual differences will be.

Not sure really, they could be in the process of Adjusting trends down. I do know its a Major Improvement, and right on the heels of the RSS upgrade. The Post 1998 trends on RSS were adjusted down significantly after its upgrade, and I heard word UAH is going to adjust cooler as well post 2002, but not 100% sure. So if/when UAH adjusts Temps Down Post 2002, there would be some heat/questions about it. But the Good news is the Error Bars are being reduced significantly.

FYI, UAH May 2011 Was released today, and it shows basically No Change from April.

UAH_LT_1979_thru_May_2011.gif

Archived