• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Will the thunderstorm complex survive the trip to New York?

I'm just an avid weather watcher and don't understand the scientific lingo alot you guys use, but is anyone else watching this truely amazing thunderstorm complex out near Chicago.. In the past I've seen these ride the jet stream and survive a trip this long. Those big micro burst/duratio storms of the 90's , the summer of 90..95 and the labor day 1998 storm comes to mind... Are the conditions favorable for this to roll into central New York late tonight and tomorrow morning?..Thanks for any input. Shane

Heres a lightning shot me and buddy captured the other night.

coolshot.jpg

All I know Snagger, is if they do then they'll hit me first. ;)

BTW---Caught a nice smoker brown off the Selkirk pier the other night.:thumbsup:

Looks like it survived the trip, alot faster than I thought too , that duratio must be moving 60mph. Just got a couple great shots of cloud to ground bolts from that storm that just exploded behind my house as it approached Tug hill. I'll be head for the corner of Tubbs rd and 22 for this storm coming ...you can see the nuke plant from there.

Looks like it survived the trip, alot faster than I thought too , that duratio must be moving 60mph. Just got a couple great shots of cloud to ground bolts from that storm that just exploded behind my house as it approached Tug hill. I'll be head for the corner of Tubbs rd and 22 for this storm coming ...you can see the nuke plant from there.

Thats a good spot. Nice elevated view. If it wasnt for being a holiday weekend i'd be right down at the Selkirk beach. Sometimes you can catch a waterspout sillouetted by the lighting.

Thats a good spot. Nice elevated view. If it wasnt for being a holiday weekend i'd be right down at the Selkirk beach. Sometimes you can catch a waterspout sillouetted by the lighting.

I drove down to the lake shore (Selkirk) and wouldn't you know it as it approached us, it started downpouring out ahead of it and lightning started banging behind us. The mainline transfered it's energy to the land cells that formed ahead of it... I got bad luck... Would have had a great shoot at rt 22.. looks like it rained itself out over the Tug Hill then fell apart after looking at the radar when I came home.. It was my first try filming lightning in 20 years and I failed, My buddy got a few shots... No real wind at the Lake Ontario Shoreline.. Alot of seperate cells formed way ahead of this squall line earlier, lightning flashes for hours...must have picked up well over an inch of rain... That thunder is so deafining down at the lake..wow is it loud and goes on for ever..... next time!!!

I drove down to the lake shore (Selkirk) and wouldn't you know it as it approached us, it started downpouring out ahead of it and lightning started banging behind us. The mainline transfered it's energy to the land cells that formed ahead of it... I got bad luck... Would have had a great shoot at rt 22.. looks like it rained itself out over the Tug Hill then fell apart after looking at the radar when I came home.. It was my first try filming lightning in 20 years and I failed, My buddy got a few shots... No real wind at the Lake Ontario Shoreline.. Alot of seperate cells formed way ahead of this squall line earlier, lightning flashes for hours...must have picked up well over an inch of rain... That thunder is so deafining down at the lake..wow is it loud and goes on for ever..... next time!!!

I feel bad about mentioning the lake shore now. The storms really seemed to fall apart once they entered Mexico Bay. I could see the lightning big time about a 1/2 hour before the storms came and then they just died.

When a line of storms like this comes in I can usually hear the thunder for at least 2 hours before the storms arrive. Something like 100 miles away.

There will be more storms. Maybe we can hook up sometime. I'd like to try to get some lightning shots over the lake.

Archived