• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Weather radio recommendation(s)?

lsross

Hello southern peeps. After last week's severe weather, I think it's time to get a new weather radio. I need to get one for my mother, too, who is in her 80s. Do you have a favorite weather radio? For me, it can be as technical as need be, but for her, it needs to be simple and easy to operate. I started doing a little research on amazon.com, but I'm seeing so many types and brands -- I thought recommendations from this forum would be better than just buying one online. Let me hear about the ones you use. Thanks so much!

Hello southern peeps. After last week's severe weather, I think it's time to get a new weather radio. I need to get one for my mother, too, who is in her 80s. Do you have a favorite weather radio? For me, it can be as technical as need be, but for her, it needs to be simple and easy to operate. I started doing a little research on amazon.com, but I'm seeing so many types and brands -- I thought recommendations from this forum would be better than just buying one online. Let me hear about the ones you use. Thanks so much!

I purchased a Midland Radio WR-100 for my mother. If you're willing to program in the SAME Codes for her, it is a simple one button operation after that to listen to weather radio on demand or to shut the audio off after an alert. It has an effective audio alarm. You can see it here. It is cheaper if you buy from Walmart or an online dealer.

No cost!

http://www.hurricaneknowledge.com/noaaradio.html

I have a Midland at home and a Reecon here at work. They all do basically the same thing.

Keep in mind you need multiple ways of receiving information. Keep a weather radio with extra batteries. I'm also adding a UPS to my cable modem and router to keep my internet up in case of power failure not to mention the UPS on the weather computer. I have an EMWIN server and I re-broadcast EMWIN transmissions so I need to stay running.

I really need to get the new weather computer built soon. It's going to use a Mini-ITX form factor computer, fanless, and will use a 60GB solid state drive. Very low power consumption, very small size. Throw that on a UPS and go for hours and hours. I debated using a small netbook but I need a serial port and I haven't found any that have one. Plus I'd rather continue using WinXP instead of Win7.

Thanks, guys. I am spending Mother's Day with her and Walmart is on our list of things to do, so hopefully I'll be able to find the radio you have recommended at our local Walmart. Have a great weekend and all you moms, have a wonderful Mother's Day!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived