• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
snow measurements question

lab94

Did not find a thread in the the new Philly region. Sorry if its been asked before.

This was taken 10 min ago. You can see under trees opened up and around anything that holds heat (shed etc) But I have questions for measurements

1. If you look you see the gray, its solid ice. That is were the kids play and or were I walk to get to my weather station and to take measurements. Do I include that as snow cover? Its slush that refroze.

2. Do I average in the snow depth were the kids play since it has been packed down and melted faster? Or do I use just the undisturbed areas?

b87gk6.jpg

Did not find a thread in the the new Philly region. Sorry if its been asked before.

This was taken 10 min ago. You can see under trees opened up and around anything that holds heat (shed etc) But I have questions for measurements

1. If you look you see the gray, its solid ice. That is were the kids play and or were I walk to get to my weather station and to take measurements. Do I include that as snow cover? Its slush that refroze.

2. Do I average in the snow depth were the kids play since it has been packed down and melted faster? Or do I use just the undisturbed areas?

You would ignore areas where the snow has been trampled or otherwise affected by the activities of humans. (Including piles :devilsmiley: )

Generally you want to measure the depth in an exposed, level area... though obviously it looks like that's hard to come by around there.

Archived