• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Compare the CHICAGO Blizzard to the NYC 12/26-27 2010 blizzard

CAT5ANDREW

I believe that the 2 storms had more in common with each other than not.NYC had more snowfall as parts of Eastern NJ had 32 inches.But when the snow and wind combined,it was markedly similar.KJFK and KLGA had 55-60MPH gusts as well as very strong sustained winds.We easily met Blizzard criteria at all reporting locations.

The 12/26-27 2010 storm here in Queens County was the worst blizzard i have ever experienced in my lifetime..Winds of over 60MPH,thundersnow,travel completly stopped,massive drifts.THe snow felt like sand hitting you and with the snow rates of 3 to 4 inches per hour at times it was a complete whiteout.It was not pleasant to be outside at all as I could not see.similar sentiments were said during your blizzard.THe drifts here were not nearly as high as some of yours but high for our area.We were completly stuck for several days.I had 22 inches where I live.

What amazes me though and I am sure you out there as well is how dense the snow is.It is very hard to shovel and plow.You guys had a truly historic storm there as did us.

How did this storm compare to others in the past?I would have to believe that it was the worst blizzard in The history of Chicago when the winds are factored in.FEB 1978 and JAN 1996 were wind machines here in NYC but not with the intensity of the Boxing day storm.

Archived