Jump to content

Uncle Bobby

Members
  • Posts

    290
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Uncle Bobby

  1. I don't know, I think they may be going underground for some, I'm not really sure though. In my new pics you can see the "EDE Trans" in between the two driveways. The EDE is for Empire District Electric. I've also seen "EDE Pole" and "EDE Prim" and "EDE Sec". However, I'm not sure how they would do that if peoples driveways are still in the way.

    My electric co-op sends out a bi-monthly newsletter, and coincidentally there was a recent discussion in there about the underground vs. poles issue. The point was made that burying power lines is WAY more expensive than hanging the lines from poles. On top of that, though outages would be less frequent, when an outage DOES occur it is WAY more difficult to repair.

  2. 2nd post... just registered... I was on the old board... I am a chaser... but haven't read any of this thread other than the last page.

    I had decided to not chase that day (long story), but instead to get into OK for the next day's risk.  I saw the Joplin storm from just W of Wichita.   It didn't have an overshooting dome.  It had an overshooting cone, which was taller than it was wide (at its base), and pointy at the top.  Think "dunce cap".  It was, I believe, at least 50% as tall as the rest of the storm, so if the flat anvil top was at 45K feet the top of that cone was over 70K. I thought one or two of you on this board might find that interesting.

×
×
  • Create New...