Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Post quality, constructive discussion, and why we're cracking down

earthlight

Hi friends.

I know there is a tendency to skim through these threads, but I strongly encourage that you read the entire thing. I'm sure I will still get some angry private messages down the road, but it's all laid out here.

Over the past couple of weeks, you've probably noticed many more posts (and threads) being deleted in this forum. This isn't happening by coincidence, and it will continue to gradually increase in rate over the next week or two specifically. After a discussion between myself and the other moderators in this forum (and staff members throughout the website), a decision was made to begin cracking down fairly hard on posts that aren't related to the discussion in the specific thread. 

Here's the deal: I personally tend to encourage and enjoy a loosely moderated, relaxed environment. I don't think meteorological discussion on a web forumis the most serious issue (although it is a serious thing and a career for many), and I don't think that every post needs to model that of a piece written by a Rhodes Scholar. That being said, the posts in this forum over the last month have been absolutely terrible and that's putting it nicely. There is banter everywhere in discussion threads, discussion on different topics spilling into different threads, one line posts about models, whining and crying....it's becoming ridiculous. 

Unfortunately, those of you who have participated in this are forcing our hand as moderators to reduce the laid back nature of the environment here. So this post will be the first step in a multiple step process to try and weed out those who are significantly degrading the integrity of the discussion. There are plenty of smart people in here. Think before you post -- and try to make sure that it adds something to the ongoing discussion. Posts will continue to be deleted, and repeat offenders will be suspended and then banned.

Here, as a reminder, is the newly enacted forum-wide warning system:

---

FIRST OFFENSE (1 point): A verbal warning.
SECOND OFFENSE: (2 points): 5 day suspension of posting abilities.
THIRD OFFENSE: (3 points): Permanent suspension of posting abilities.

---

I hope we can continue to harbor a constructive, laid back and fun discussion. Those of you who can't do that maturely won't be taking part in it.

Thanks guys.

Archived