• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers

2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

16 minutes ago, thunderman said:

New initiation SW of Manassas looks to have become established.  Could get interesting as it moves north and begins to interact with the outflow boundary.

Fauquier and Madison county storm look good

From Annapolis in the TOR box very close to where the remnants of the couplet that started in the Riva area, we got ~1.5" of rain in the span of a few minutes, max 30mph winds, and TONS of lightning. My parents saw a boat struck by lightning in the Severn river in front of their house. They said it was smoking after being struck.

Love how it starts to split as soon as it nears my house. Plenty close enough for loud booms here and there. Constant low rolling thunder now.

Edit: Complete split. Just moderate rain atm. Heavy occasionally but not much else.

Final grade looks to be a D+

Nothing but light rain up here, hope everyone made it out okay down south. 

17 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Storm just east of Culpeper looks interesting

The stuff in WV is going to miss me to the south it seems unless the little light stuff at the top of it gets stronger. This is how weather is where I live. The magic forcefield.

Many calls have come in the Riva/Edgewater/Woodland Beache where the warning was. At least 4 trees on buildings, many roads blocked, and multiple poles down. 

One heck of a lightning storm here in the rainforest. I was driving over the Severn River bridge and witnessed some bad ass lightning bolts. Big ole thick long lasting bolts just bombing the Severn. Looks like more storm building back around DC. I got a 1.50" here at my house in about 30 minutes. Not severe but really fun storm.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

One heck of a lightning storm here in the rainforest. I was driving over the Severn River bridge and witnessed some bad ass lightning bolts. Big ole thick long lasting bolts just bombing the Severn. Looks like more storm building back around DC. I got a 1.50" here at my house in about 30 minutes. Not severe but really fun storm.

Sounds exactly like what I had last night. Way more fun than today.

• Like 1

Nws spotter came in with consistent damage, some to houses under the AA TOR on Solomons Island.

Looks like a wrap for here. Lots of rumbles and a couple of booms, and 0.30" of rain.

After last night's big storm, this is perfectly fine with me. 1.75" since last evening, and no wind impacts.

Went for a damage patrol drive. Many pieces of tulip poplar on roads but only one or 2 of size. Md rte 450 flooding has neen moved further east. Passable. 

This white pine 0.7 miles from my house may have took lightning.  Bark is peeled and the area smells like a Christmas tree lot. Doesn't seem like wind damage,  we didn't get much. But maybe.

Resized_pine tree 09.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Looks like a wrap for here. Lots of rumbles and a couple of booms, and 0.30" of rain.

After last night's big storm, this is perfectly fine with me. 1.75" since last evening, and no wind impacts.

0.83", glad the winds did not pick up.

• Like 1

Some showers coming in but there's no umph behind them. Kind of disappointed in today. Got brushed by the cell that raised some havoc in Rockville. And of course the Baltimore/Annapolis axis seemed to get nailed pretty soundly. It's been noted that SPC marginal days seem to deliver just about as often as when we get tagged with an enhanced or (rarely) a MOD. It's hit and miss around here and that's no great secret. On severe days, there's usually always someone like the last one picked at the high school dance. Or the first one kicked off the raft floating in the middle of a vast and unforgiving ocean.   

Well this was a storm for the books here in Annapolis. I could clearly see the edge of the shelf cloud and rotation right in front of me. Some pretty extensive damage in Edgewater, which is a few minutes south of me. 

Full videos (2 parts) attached in this tweet

9CC7A203-BABD-48E5-981B-7BD2D23CC2AB.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Hearing more thunder to the west. Lets see what round 2 can do.

This one is a banger. Sounds/feels like bombs dropping out there.

Total bust for us as expected.

Not even a quarter inch of rain.  Yesterday's activity was much better. And even that was lackluster.

Looking forward to possibly the best Labor Day Weekend weather in a while, however.