• Member Statistics

    15,696
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Mcninja
    Newest Member
    Mcninja
    Joined
Ginx snewx

Happy Birthday Old Man Winter storm obs

Recommended Posts

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wut? Absolutely crushing and best returns still on Greenfield’s doorstep.

 

DB4E8883-28DB-492F-9DB7-0AE365813A64.jpeg

Some of that must be brightbanding aloft from a marginal layer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, powderfreak said:

KALB 020051Z 02007KT 1/8SM R01/3000V5000FT +SN FZFG VV005 M04/M06 A2979 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1/4 SLP092 SNINCR 2/8 P0020 T10391061

Something I've always wondered... maybe someone can explain it.... but how is there still such a temp/dew depression despite such heavy prolonged precipitation?

ALB hasn't had anything above 85% RH and is 25/21 despite 1/8sm snow and two tenths of QPF last hour?  I would assume that type of precip rate for hours now would near saturated at like 24/24. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

7.5" as of 8:30 pm. Just getting nuked! Not good snow growth (10-12:1 type stuff), since DGZ is quite high from WAA. 

Same here but surprised you are seeing that since Snowgeek had fatties falling. 

 Snowing so hard with little dendrites it is like fog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Some of that must be brightbanding aloft from a marginal layer.

Ok, I was gonna’ say, that is a radar look I’m not used to with snow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

The Berkshires are getting absolutely smoked right now. Probably snowing at 4”-5”/hr type stuff there right now. Looks amazing on RadarScope 

Seems like we got a interesting set up

deep erly flow , 995 low near ACY currently and 1022 high banana’ing over near Quebec . E slope Berks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wut? Absolutely crushing and best returns still on Greenfield’s doorstep.

 

DB4E8883-28DB-492F-9DB7-0AE365813A64.jpeg

Love that image.

You can see the small narrow downslope sleet pockets on the west side of some of those ridges where the higher reflectivity returns are amid the larger shield of heavy precip.

That's probably an extremely marginal situation aloft where upslope/downslope on easterly flow has just enough effect to turn some narrow north/south pockets to sleet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Love that image.

You can see the small narrow downslope sleet pockets on the west side of some of those ridges where the higher reflectivity returns are amid the larger shield of heavy precip.

That's probably an extremely marginal situation aloft where upslope/downslope on easterly flow has just enough effect to turn some narrow north/south pockets to sleet.

Some models showed those pockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Some of that must be brightbanding aloft from a marginal layer.

So cool.  Look at the Mass Pike/NY Thruway there... if you are driving from like Beckett to just past the NY state line, it literally is likely snowing when you are driving uphill on the east side of the hill and then sleeting on the backside when you are driving down into the valley on the other side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Something I've always wondered... maybe someone can explain it.... but how is there still such a temp/dew depression despite such heavy prolonged precipitation?

ALB hasn't had anything above 85% RH and is 25/21 despite 1/8sm snow and two tenths of QPF last hour?  I would assume that type of precip rate for hours now would near saturated at like 24/24. 

Think you're dealing with RH w/ respect to ice vs water and how the sensors handle it. A brutally cold rad night isn't going to get you 100% RH. You'll start getting diamond dust with under 80% RH from the ASOS at like -35C or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Wonder if this will all get washed away. 
 

looks like we’re in for a decent amount of rain/above freezing temps before any possible round 2 

That's pretty good if you got near 3.5". I'd hit that and run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.