• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Mcninja
    Newest Member
    Mcninja

Happy Birthday Old Man Winter storm obs

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wut? Absolutely crushing and best returns still on Greenfield’s doorstep.

DB4E8883-28DB-492F-9DB7-0AE365813A64.jpeg

Some of that must be brightbanding aloft from a marginal layer.

Just now, powderfreak said:

KALB 020051Z 02007KT 1/8SM R01/3000V5000FT +SN FZFG VV005 M04/M06 A2979 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1/4 SLP092 SNINCR 2/8 P0020 T10391061

Something I've always wondered... maybe someone can explain it.... but how is there still such a temp/dew depression despite such heavy prolonged precipitation?

ALB hasn't had anything above 85% RH and is 25/21 despite 1/8sm snow and two tenths of QPF last hour?  I would assume that type of precip rate for hours now would near saturated at like 24/24. 

10 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

7.5" as of 8:30 pm. Just getting nuked! Not good snow growth (10-12:1 type stuff), since DGZ is quite high from WAA. 

Same here but surprised you are seeing that since Snowgeek had fatties falling. 

Snowing so hard with little dendrites it is like fog.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Ok, I was gonna’ say, that is a radar look I’m not used to with snow. 

8 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

The Berkshires are getting absolutely smoked right now. Probably snowing at 4”-5”/hr type stuff there right now. Looks amazing on RadarScope 

Seems like we got a interesting set up

deep erly flow , 995 low near ACY currently and 1022 high banana’ing over near Quebec . E slope Berks 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wut? Absolutely crushing and best returns still on Greenfield’s doorstep.

DB4E8883-28DB-492F-9DB7-0AE365813A64.jpeg

Love that image.

You can see the small narrow downslope sleet pockets on the west side of some of those ridges where the higher reflectivity returns are amid the larger shield of heavy precip.

That's probably an extremely marginal situation aloft where upslope/downslope on easterly flow has just enough effect to turn some narrow north/south pockets to sleet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Love that image.

You can see the small narrow downslope sleet pockets on the west side of some of those ridges where the higher reflectivity returns are amid the larger shield of heavy precip.

That's probably an extremely marginal situation aloft where upslope/downslope on easterly flow has just enough effect to turn some narrow north/south pockets to sleet.

Some models showed those pockets.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

So cool.  Look at the Mass Pike/NY Thruway there... if you are driving from like Beckett to just past the NY state line, it literally is likely snowing when you are driving uphill on the east side of the hill and then sleeting on the backside when you are driving down into the valley on the other side.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Something I've always wondered... maybe someone can explain it.... but how is there still such a temp/dew depression despite such heavy prolonged precipitation?

ALB hasn't had anything above 85% RH and is 25/21 despite 1/8sm snow and two tenths of QPF last hour?  I would assume that type of precip rate for hours now would near saturated at like 24/24. 

Think you're dealing with RH w/ respect to ice vs water and how the sensors handle it. A brutally cold rad night isn't going to get you 100% RH. You'll start getting diamond dust with under 80% RH from the ASOS at like -35C or something.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Wonder if this will all get washed away. 

looks like we’re in for a decent amount of rain/above freezing temps before any possible round 2 

That's pretty good if you got near 3.5". I'd hit that and run.