• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Virtual Bible Study
    Newest Member
    Virtual Bible Study
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Ian

I haven't seen any of those heavy  rates that were advertised for the western areas this evening.  The last hour has really been nothing but pixie dust.  Not even worth going out to try and measure.  I have lots of wind, but very little snow the last hour.  My measure area has been compromised by the wind, so it's going to be very tough to get anything meaningful from this point.

For it be considered an official "climatic" snowfall observation for historical records, you can't sum up more than 4 snowfall measurements within a 24 hour period, or once per 6 hours.  You can certainly report hourly accums, but official totals should be kept to summing up 6 hr amounts to account for settling. Summing up hourly amounts will lead to inflated numbers which will not be accepted by NWS as an official snowfall climate observation.  This happened in Montague NY in 1997, when a lake effect storm of 77" was not officially accepted as a national record because the observer summed up 6 separate snowfall measurements within 24 hrs. So clear your snowboard no more than once per 6 hrs.

Happy measuring!

Bingo

I haven't seen any of those heavy  rates that were advertised for the western areas this evening.  The last hour has really been nothing but pixie dust.  Not even worth going out to try and measure.  I have lots of wind, but very little snow the last hour.  My measure area has been compromised by the wind, so it's going to be very tough to get anything meaningful from this point.

I am measuring in 20 minutes for the last time tonight. I have had some decent bands come through. We will get our time in the deform band later on.