Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
End of February/ Early March Discussion Thread 2015

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine many will be shocked by this.

Lots of calls for a major pattern change from what I've been seeing. I'm not buying into it yet. Probably a situation where we gradually lose the record cold and end up inching closer to average as the month goes on. I don't think anyone is expecting -25 degree departures in March, but I don't think we'll see Morch either. I've seen interesting stats for some sites in the northeast where a much below average February was typically followed by a below average March.

OTS no phase

The 18z GEFS are definitely interesting, somewhat similar to the OP Euro. 

Lots of calls for a major pattern change from what I've been seeing. I'm not buying into it yet. Probably a situation where we gradually lose the record cold and end up inching closer to average as the month goes on. I don't think anyone is expecting -25 degree departures in March, but I don't think we'll see Morch either. I've seen interesting stats for some sites in the northeast where a much below average February was typically followed by a below average March.

Red flag. Again d6.

Well we know it typically takes a little longer for a pattern change to actually take hold from when they are first advertised. I agree, I don't think we see big departures all month but the departures at the start of the month could carry the month keeping it below average.

Agree. Just replying to his comment about the OP GFS being OTS. Ensembles are a bit different and I don't see the harm in looking at them at this range. This is a weather discussion board and no one is calling for a blizzard.

I wasn't chastising. Apologies if it came off that way. I was just saying it's a red flag the GEFS is showing some potential for this storm as well. Peaks my interest for this storm, but it's D6. I will say if the Euro catches a storm, many times its in this range.

I wasn't chastising. Apologies if it came off that way. I was just saying it's a red flag the GEFS is showing some potential for this storm as well. Peaks my interest for this storm, but it's D6. I will say if the Euro catches a storm, many times its in this range.

No worries, we're on the same page. It's been a frustrating winter to track storms with all the wild swings even up until 24 hours prior to the event. This one just piqued my interest since a signal has been showing up for awhile for that time frame and the setup looks like it has potential (at least for NE, and hopefully for us).

Late next week is going to be interesting. IMO the key to the next 10 days is the Pacific piece of energy that will move into California and the Southwest in the next few days. It's noticeably stronger and faster in the GFS, preventing Arctic energy from really digging. NYC area still gets a little snow from the arctic front/clipper in this scenario though. The Euro, on the other hand, keeps the Pacific energy pretty weak, allowing the arctic energy to really dig and giving the trough more time to go negative...it's certainly a story we've heard before this winter...at the moment I think New England has a better shot with this storm. Very early though. 

If the Pacific piece of energy is stronger...like the GFS depicts...then there is more potential for a low pressure system track up the coast from the Gulf. I know the GFS shows it going out to sea right now, but I think there is plenty of time for this to change.

Late next week is going to be interesting. IMO the key to the next 10 days is the Pacific piece of energy that will move into California and the Southwest in the next few days. It's noticeably stronger and faster in the GFS, preventing Arctic energy from really digging. NYC area still gets a little snow from the arctic front/clipper in this scenario though. The Euro, on the other hand, keeps the Pacific energy pretty weak, allowing the arctic energy to really dig and giving the trough more time to go negative...it's certainly a story we've heard before this winter...at the moment I think New England has a better shot with this storm. Very early though. 

If the Pacific piece of energy is stronger...like the GFS depicts...then there is more potential for a low pressure system track up the coast from the Gulf. I know the GFS shows it going out to sea right now, but I think there is plenty of time for this to change.

Let's just hope the Euro holds serve in an hour. Within the next couple runs, the Euro or GFS is going to cave to the other....

I hate saying the models are "caving" to each other when discussing a solution at something like 144 hours. That's not a model battle... that's just normal modelling.

That's true. They could and probably will in the end converge somewhere in the middle. To what degree and closer to which is the better question. That being said.....I really want the 00z euro to be similar to what we saw on the 12z euro!

Archived