SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Widremann is a troll. I'm fine with everyone else. He picks the worst model runs and mocks everyone else with them. Has he mentioned the RGEM, you know, the best short range model? Of course not. I have no clue why the mods have such a short trigger with some people and allow him to go on and on and on. I guess he's figured out exactly where the line is.

We're not doing modelology, we're doing, supposedly meteorology. Yes, the NAM was the worst of the bunch, but the general trend and the set up remain what they are, models or not. There's not a lot going for this storm except for the presence of cold air left over from last night's arctic front. We have no blocking, no real CAD, and no favorable SLP track. All the models agree on this, as does the current weather picture.

I'm not going on and on without basis like TARHEELPROGRAMMER. I may be wrong, like anyone else, but I'm grounding my analysis in actual facts, and not weenie wishcasting.

I kinda feel like he's trying to get people to explain why we shouldn't be concerned if there looks to be a bad step or trend or why we shouldn't be concerned about something that could pop up to ruin our storm...a later onset of precip, clouds rolling in early, limiting cooling, convection in the Gulf, etc.

Right, the things that nobody talks about until they start happening. Inevitably, they do and people are surprised. Well, I'm here to tell everyone about these things ahead of time. I get labeled a troll. I suppose that's what happens in weenie world.

I kinda feel like he's trying to get people to explain why we shouldn't be concerned if there looks to be a bad step or trend or why we shouldn't be concerned about something that could pop up to ruin our storm...a later onset of precip, clouds rolling in early, limiting cooling, convection in the Gulf, etc.

Fair enough, maybe it's just me. I mean I wouldn't be surprised at this point if I got the dry slot from the transfer and .25 of slop in total out of this storm. That said, I don't really think there's any way to accurately predict where that is going to occur at this lead time.

I'm not Chickenimg out this time. On my way to bowling green

Glad to hear it.  Have an adventure.  When I was 21, I drove to Jasper National Park (northwest of Edmonton, Alberta) and down the spine of the Rockies to Colorado over an almost three-week span all by myself.  I met lots of cool people, saw incredible wildlife and scenery, all while being over 2000 miles away from any family or friends.  I'll never forget that trip.  I'm so glad I did it.  Hope your adventure is just as awesome.  :thumbsup:

I made it ! I'm staying in Red Roof Inn in Bowling Green, KY.

Good choice of final location.

so all the snow will be south of here ?

Mack was totally messing with you.  Don't make it so easy on him.

I literally have not seen more than 4" of snow on the ground in 22 years. Hopefully that streak will change.

I think you're going to easily surpass that mark.  Enjoy it!  :)

We're not doing modelology, we're doing, supposedly meteorology. Yes, the NAM was the worst of the bunch, but the general trend and the set up remain what they are, models or not. There's not a lot going for this storm except for the presence of cold air left over from last night's arctic front. We have no blocking, no real CAD, and no favorable SLP track. All the models agree on this, as does the current weather picture.

I'm not going on and on without basis like TARHEELPROGRAMMER. I may be wrong, like anyone else, but I'm grounding my analysis in actual facts, and not weenie wishcasting.

Which is why your still posting tonight, even though most of the forum want to take you outside an hang you from the tallest tree.

It's not my fault this winter sucks. Blame Judah Cohen. Never listening to that guy again. SAI my a$$.

So I shouldn't worry at all that the RGEM has .50 of ZR? Or the NAM or the GFS and probably the Euro tonight? Just want to make sure to discuss with you before buying into all of those models saying the same thing. 

I've had time to cool off today after the huge model flip last night at 00z.

After looking at all guidance through the 00z GFS today, I still think the far Northern Midlands & Upstate have a chance to see substantial Winter weather in the form of some sleet and then the dreaded freezing rain.  In fact, some modeling really wants to nail the Upstate hard with ice accumulations.  NE Georgia may not be spared either.

So I shouldn't worry at all that the RGEM has .50 of ZR? Or the NAM or the GFS and probably the Euro tonight? Just want to make sure to discuss with you before buying into all of those models saying the same thing.

The RGEM is a bit of an oulier. And let's not take the model QPF verbatim. That's how you end up with even more disappointment than we already have.

I'll say for those of us in the Triad the 850s look really close. The sounding from the last couple runs did seem to indicate that 800mb was overall the warmest layer but it isn't terribly far away from a lot of snow. Hell, at least it seems like we've stopped the march north.

I'm having a hard time deciphering whether the GFS could be all-snow for us.  Does anyone with access to the Model Center (or just Skew-Ts from somewhere else) mind taking a look?  It honestly looks like it is to me.  The skew-Ts from hr 27 and hr 30 look good, though I guess it could warm in between.  800 mb looks okay.

The RGEM is a bit of an oulier. And let's not take the model QPF verbatim. That's how you end up with even more disappointment than we already have.

Come on though, you're moving the goal posts. Even if you cut those totals in half you still have .25 of ZR for a major city. That's a big deal. I hate ZR but to try to deny the implications almost every model is spitting out is a bit silly. It's not like it's even saying 32/33 and rain...most areas are around 27/28. Big difference there and with the cold temps before hand it's not going to take much for it to freeze when it does fall. 

Archived