northernriwx
The "What To Title The Storm?" Thread - Dec 8-9

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are we declaring this run good?

imo, absolutely

We have seen this a fair amount over the years.  We get light snow, and as soon as the precip rates pick up we mix with and change to sleet. I think there is a nice window in the early am to get a 1/2"+.  I like that idea better than the idea that we are snow once it gets heavier because we offset the warm layer...

imo, absolutely

We have seen this a fair amount over the years.  We get light snow, and as soon as the precip rates pick up we mix with and change to sleet. I think there is a nice window in the early am to get a 1/2"+.  I like that idea better than the idea that we are snow once it gets heavier because we offset the warm layer...

I know if the rest of the days run's look like this you will be up for the Euro tonight.

imo, absolutely

My "goal" would be an inch of snow, followed by sleet and then the unfortunate but inevitable change to rain. 

imo, absolutely

We have seen this a fair amount over the years. We get light snow, and as soon as the precip rates pick up we mix with and change to sleet. I think there is a nice window in the early am to get a 1/2"+. I like that idea better than the idea that we are snow once it gets heavier because we offset the warm layer...

Matt, in some instances that is absolutely the case. I agree that heavier rates don't always offset the warn layer, I do think that initial CAD and even some weak CAA could help us. DP depressions will be higher which could more efficiently cool the column. I'm not sure I buy the warm layer 100% yet because its variable from run to run. I think for places like Annapolis, sleet could be more of an issue, but maybe not as much with a flow from the SW.

I think our back end is in jeopardy

GFS has the tail-end wave on Tuesday.  Sort of stalls it near the VA tidewater.  Doesn't throw any precip up our way though.  Still worth watching.  Several 6z GEFS members had a storm that brought us some precip. 

GFS has the tail-end wave on Tuesday.  Sort of stalls it near the VA tidewater.  Doesn't throw any precip up our way though.  Still worth watching.  Several 6z GEFS members had a storm that brought us some precip. 

it had it yesterday at this time but lost it in later runs.  

Archived