• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dosent HM usually give his first winter hint every July 4th?

Ji

Missed seeing the link earlier.  Not sure where the el nino idea comes from,  most guidance I've seen is pointing to a neutral winter.  What was his last year call? cold and snowy? 

Missed seeing the link earlier.  Not sure where the el nino idea comes from,  most guidance I've seen is pointing to a neutral winter.  What was his last year call? cold and snowy? 

You got it, it was cold and snowy. If i remember correctly he predicted 26.5" for Baltimore and this year he is predicting 28"

??

lol hey old friend.

When I was younger, out of my mind and extremely cocky back in the WWBB days, I would definitely make it a tradition to drop a few winter thoughts in July. This coincided with (and helped established a confirmation bias) my string of winter outlook successes in that 2002-2006 period. And then of course I learned I was human after all and smartened up afterwards, haha...

But for traditions' sake... :)

1. I showed a couple of years ago why a downwelling +QBO into the lower stratosphere combined with a cool ENSO can actually favor a more poleward Aleutian High (through wave breaking processes and tropical forcing...this line of thought contradicts conventional QBO-theory, which generally sucks anyway). We don't want ENSO to stay undecided this year (where as last year we got away with it because of the El Niño-like tendency to the pattern just before the heart of the winter). So either the thing warms up and we get some snow/cold that way or we want a decent La Niña-circulation. Both would force the convection into a traditional concise area, limiting the extent of global warmth and allow for some polar blocking at some part of the winter. Unfortunately for you, neutral seems like the best bet right now (which means there is more probability that intraseasonal ENSO-like waves in forcing can time poorly with the calendar and QBO-wave).

2. The state of the general circulation in both hemispheres right now doesn't look too good, however, for a -AO. This doesn't mean it can't change, as you know, and a lot of my summer indicators are still subject to huge changing since they only have data through 7/10 (most of them need data through September).

3. The sun is expected to reach or be around maximum this autumn. This may potentially delay winter again, despite whatever crazy wintery weather we get in autumn this time, and add a general +AO tendency overall.

4. Remember these thoughts are close to useless at this range. I'll try to update you again in another month or so with something entirely different. ;)

Archived