northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 23-27 Severe Weather Obs/Disc.

Ellinwood

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tornado watch coming by 2pm for areas north of us in PA/NY. Discussion mentions potential for iso tornadoes and "very large hail"

http://www.spc.noaa..../md/md0979.html

- I wonder if we will get a watch. HB on his live chat on Livestream says we still are capped around these parts.

Yeah, it's a pretty decent cap. But, if we can get to Con. Temp.~ 90-ish, and the dewpoints don't mix out into the lower 60s, it's possible.

Yeah, it's a pretty decent cap. But, if we can get to Con. Temp.~ 90-ish, and the dewpoints don't mix out into the lower 60s, it's possible.

Seems like 87-90 is definitely possible. Not sure about dewpoints though - for the time being they are still around 70

Are you going with a DC = meh today?

i dunno.. havent looke much. initial thoughts were there's not a lot of forcing in our area, tho 500/850 features are in the general area you'd want for storms. i see a few cu going up on the ridges tho, so we'll see. not sure i buy into that high risk to the north either with the system falling apart but it could happen.

KML, what do you mean by "capped"? I've heard that mentioned several times in the last few days...

I'm not KML, but I noticed no one answered.. here is NWS defnition of Cap

Cap

(also called "Lid") A layer of relatively warm air aloft, usually several thousand feet above the ground, which suppresses or delays the development of thunderstorms. Air parcels rising into this layer become cooler than the surrounding air, which inhibits their ability to rise further and produce thunderstorms. As such, the cap often prevents or delays thunderstorm development even in the presence of extreme instability. However, if the cap is removed or weakened, then explosive thunderstorm development can occur.

The cap is an important ingredient in most severe thunderstorm episodes, as it serves to separate warm, moist air below and cooler, drier air above. With the cap in place, air below it can continue to warm and/or moisten, thus increasing the amount of potential instability. Or, air above it can cool, which also increases potential instability. But without a cap, either process (warming/moistening at low levels or cooling aloft) results in a faster release of available instability - often before instability levels become large enough to support severe weather development.

Hopefully that helps :)

Getting closer...

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0980

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1215 PM CDT THU MAY 26 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...WRN VA...WV...MD PANHANDLE

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 261715Z - 261845Z

CU FIELD IS EXPANDING/DEEPENING OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF WRN VA

AND WV. THIS LIKELY IS A REFLECTION OF STEEPER LAPSE RATE

ENVIRONMENT THAT HAS DEVELOPED DUE TO INTENSE HEATING AND SBCAPE

VALUES NOW REFLECT VALUES ON THE ORDER OF 1500-3000 J/KG BENEATH

MODESTLY STRONG SWLY DEEP LAYER FLOW. UPSTREAM...CONVECTION IS

GRADUALLY INTENSIFYING ACROSS PARS OF KY/ERN TN AND WILL SOON SPREAD

INTO THE REGION MENTIONED. GIVEN THIS EVOLUTION IT WOULD APPEAR

THAT DAMAGING WINDS COULD CERTAINLY BE NOTED WITH STRONGER LINE

SEGMENTS OR BOW-TYPE STRUCTURES. WW WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED.

..DARROW.. 05/26/2011

..PLEASE SEE WWW.SPC.NOAA.GOV FOR GRAPHIC PRODUCT

ATTN...WFO...LWX...RNK...PBZ...RLX...MRX...JKL...

Activity will probably remain west. Don't think DC will get anything special today.

1700z SPC mesoanalysis:

Derecho composite 8-10 now

4000-4500 SBCAPE

3000 MLCAPE

Left moving supercell -8 in NW VA

LI is -10

LL Lapse Rates still around 7.5 C/KM

ML Lapse Rates are nearing 8 C/KM

Effective Bulk shear 30-35 kts

Craven Brooks SigSvr 40-70

:lmao:

Archived