Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Blizzard of 2013 Forecast Discussion Part II

forkyfork

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HRRR also picks up the warm tongue. All hi-res models have this now. HRRR has it further east. Depending on where the low and mid level lows combine is where this warm tongue will set up. The NAM drops heavy precip in the warm tongue, completely over running the dynamical cooling effects. Correct if I'm wrong... HRRR:

How heavy is the qpf in that warm toungue in comparison to what areas are not impacted by it, (i.e. Western Nassau all the way back to NE NJ?)

QPF is notoriously difficult to predict (there are so many scales of phenomena involved, dealing with phase change, highly nonlinear nature)....especially with models run at their current resolutions.  The GFS effectively has 27 km (ish) horizontal resolution, so a lot of what goes into QPF is parameterized (adding to the difficulty). 

DTK , you seem to be offended by my comments before Wasnt intentional I was asking if necp thought the GFS had a SW bias because to me it seem thers issues there sometimes Just my opinion. Pls don't take offense i was making the argument that we missed sandy until 3 days out and was wondering if it was a res problem. So no offense intended

Archived