• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

pretty bleak pic there PF with lower elevation guns just sitting, seems to sum up the feel for our late fall this year.

maybe it means some deep snow days in May :)

nice slow start to wood burning season, oh well, at least the B's are playing better.

42 this AM

at this point that would benefit me and you ....the skier although i detected your sarcasm

but resorts could mostly care less about snow in even early april ..cept wildcat/sunday river ......the majority of people from whom their revenues are dervived ....think ski ....from thanksgiving to end of february./..part of march....then look to spring....and the thought of snow annoys most of them by the end of march. any way you slice it (regardless if late march/april are snowy is resorts are losing profits hand over fist with this torch pattern continuing and potentially even getting a bit worse before better in the early days of december. I say worse because models remove the cold from canada soon ...so are transient cold shots ....may not even have the bite (relative to normal departures) that we have enjoyed on brief occasions.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at this point that would benefit me and you ....the skier although i detected your sarcasm

but resorts could mostly care less about snow in even early april ..cept wildcat/sunday river ......the majority of people from whom their revenues are dervived ....think ski ....from thanksgiving to end of february./..part of march....then look to spring....and the thought of snow annoys most of them by the end of march. any way you slice it (regardless if late march/april are snowy is resorts are losing profits hand over fist with this torch pattern continuing and potentially even getting a bit worse before better in the early days of december. I say worse because models remove the cold from canada soon ...so are transient cold shots ....may not even have the bite (relative to normal departures) that we have enjoyed on brief occasions.

I see the point from a resort perspective, I don't rely on them though for ski satisfaction. just clinging to the ideology that mother nature will balance it out before I start practicing how to make a noose

I just stopped in at the BTV NWS site and saw that there’s a Lake Effect Snow Watch off to our west – BTV doesn’t expect much effect from that snow up here though based on their discussion. After that, the next shot at snow appears to be at the beginning of next week.

Their WRF run shows some moisture sneaking into the greens with 24 hr precip totals in the .5-.6 range for orographicly favored areas. With the warm ground it's not going to amount to much. However I think across the spine and the adk there will sustained snow showers

I think the SNE folks are just more interested in the dusting that they may get tonight. High interest in the Thanksgiving storm starting tomorrow.

Thats what happens when you have a real crappy pattern, People argueing over a few mangled flakes on the windshield, Next weeks storm will have a tight gradient, There is not a lot of cold air but it does look like it remains over us here, Euro ensembles had the low tracking thru CNE so a few ticks south can only help more here.

Thats what happens when you have a real crappy pattern, People argueing over a few mangled flakes on the windshield, Next weeks storm will have a tight gradient, There is not a lot of cold air but it does look like it remains over us here, Euro ensembles had the low tracking thru CNE so a few ticks south can only help more here.

Honestly I don't want to miss another one to the south, haha. Its time to get some snow to stick and last on the mountain.

Snow squalls on the way? Upslope flow is starting to build and moisture is increasing... maybe we can get something out of this this evening when the heavier stuff hits the mountains.

You can see our light snow coming over the mountain into town with slight increase in radar, can't wait for that heavier stuff to get in here. Coating incoming? Amazing that one can be interested in such a minor thing but this weather pattern is awful, haha.

Very close but no cigar here in town.... Johnson, Jeffersonville, Hyde Park, Cambridge, all look to be getting crushed by this squall line. I could see those areas picking up a quick coating to even an inch in 30 minutes as this passes through. Just a few renegade flakes here now.

Any idea how I can get any reports, web cams, or anything from up that way? I have to tally up snow totals for select areas in Vermont and a couple of my locations are up that way. Burlington, Winooski, St Albans, Swanton, Enosburg Falls, Richford, Orleans, Barton just to name a few.

Any idea how I can get any reports, web cams, or anything from up that way? I have to tally up snow totals for select areas in Vermont and a couple of my locations are up that way. Burlington, Winooski, St Albans, Swanton, Enosburg Falls, Richford, Orleans, Barton just to name a few.

I'd start with these two.... the web cams page and the daily climate maps from the North Country (you can get also get the maps for days in the past):

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/cams.shtml

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/climatemaps/

I'd start with these two.... the web cams page and the daily climate maps from the North Country (you can get also get the maps for days in the past):

http://www.erh.noaa....html/cams.shtml

http://www.erh.noaa....ml/climatemaps/

Thanks a lot! Your detailed obs out of Stowe are also very helpful for me, particularly these snow shower events like last Friday.

I was up in Morrisville today, so I grabbed a shot of the snowmaking taking place on Mt. Mansfield on the way home around midday:

17NOV11A.jpg

In the afternoon I was up at Bolton. It had the look and feel of snow, and right at 3:03 PM when I was around 2,500’ I started to hear the tick of flakes and graupel all around. It snowed with varying light intensity for about an hour, and it accumulated pretty easily with temperatures in the low 30s F, but the snowfall was light enough that it still only produced a dusting. We’re got snow falling down here in the valley right now, but it’s fairly light and I’m not really seeing any accumulation:

17NOV11A.gif

Ha I was just wondering what you were getting down there, J.Spin.

I was just out walking the dog and the cars are taking on a light dusting on the roof and hoods here. Its sort of a slushy mixture from the earlier snow showers/flurries melting on contact... but now we are down to 32.7F with light snow and its started to stick to the colder surfaces.

I've been thinking if we get lucky we can get a few more bursts overnight tonight and possibly whiten the ground with the colder overnight temps.

Nice shot of the snowmaking... the guys were cranking it out all day today. The fired up in the pre-dawn hours this morning.

The deck has a light coating of "styrofoam balls". Hopefully we can keep the snow vibes rolling, though it doesn't sound promising.

Yeah I was thinking you and also Allenson should be getting the same as over here as these echos are propagating pretty far downwind of the spine with the high inversion level. Snow growth is awful since this is low level upslope/terrain induced stuff and the low levels are still fairly warm, so its a mix of flakes with dippin' dots. In another month with colder air in the lowest mile of the atmosphere, this would be a nice fluffy snowfall... our classic 1-4" broom snows.

I'm curious if Borderwx got hit with that squall line that passed to my north earlier today.

Hopefully we can keep flurries in this area for a while tonight. Man you know the pattern is dull when the most exciting thing to happen each week are the couple rounds of orographic snow showers we've been getting, lol.

now we are down to 32.7F with light snow and its started to stick to the colder surfaces.

Yeah, I just checked out back and it’s accumulating on the snowboard. It hasn’t hit a tenth of an inch yet though, but I’ll check back and see if it hits that point for an official accumulation of more than a T.

I've been thinking if we get lucky we can get a few more bursts overnight tonight and possibly whiten the ground with the colder overnight temps.

Nice shot of the snowmaking... the guys were cranking it out all day today. The fired up in the pre-dawn hours this morning.

It was nice to see the guns going today - even though it’s the natural stuff that I’m really interested in for skiing, it’s always nice to see the guns going because it usually means that it’s at least cold enough for snow.

snowing to beat the band here- whatever that means

it is even sticking on the road

Nice! You're location has been favorable in these events so far this November... with the 1+" from last Friday's snow showers, too. Radar doesn't really get over to your neck of the woods so its hard to tell exactly whats happening. Some good snow showers moving across the terrain this evening and I'm hoping we can get some moisture entrained in the flow from Lake Ontario. That's always a wild card with the Lake Effect Snow Warnings up, there will be moisture coming off the lake and even though there may not be a band on radar stretching all the way into VT, there's at least a plume of higher water content in the atmosphere coming this way.... and when that interacts with the terrain someone can get a little lucky.

Archived