• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Posting etiquette

BullCityWx

I am pinning this thread again as we head into the home stretch of what was a train-wreck & subsequent hazmat spill kind on winter. Most are already aware of the posting etiquette, however, some may be new and others may have forgot. I understand the absence of winter weather can be taxing, our SE sub forum is no exception in the hair-pulling/bickering/etc, I assure you it is happening all over. However, the time has come to start clamping down, so consider this a warning.

These are some posts from the med-long range thread just from the last few days. Many were reported by our members and deleted, and others were just deleted by staff without a report. This is an example(s) of what not to post in the weather threads, and for the sake of transparency, these were the entire posts, not just an excerpt of what someone wrote. I already have a short list of repeat offenders and if we have another report/have to delete another post they make, pm will be coming after the timeout/limited posting tag is on. Even if you do not think this applies to you, please take a moment to refresh over QC's post top of page 1. We will be dishing out timeouts and limited posting privileges first, answering questions later, warning giveth. Thank you

This one is just an excerpt. Any political speech wx-side is a big no-no, violation of board rules. Take it to OT/PR, next time I see/here about it, the person is out for an extended forecast.

"do not act like a Republican"

http://www.americanw...tion=boardrules

I am wondering why I do not see an example of "insults on the way a person looks" on here? This is common courtesy that a person should have along with the "how much", "Republican", "+1" issues. From what I recollect, that person was never given even a timeout. Must be a helluva donator

• 9 months later...

Jeremy did such a great job on this..absolutely spot on everything... and I'm happy it's been brought back and pinned. Jeremy, you are the man. :thumbsup:

Noobies/new members, and even members who have been around awhile should read it through several times. It will save you from being warned/punished and save us mods a lot of trouble.

And kudos to michelle for bumping it.

Jeremy did such a great job on this..absolutely spot on everything... and I'm happy it's been brought back and pinned. Jeremy, you are the man. :thumbsup:

Noobies/new members, and even members who have been around awhile should read it through several times. It will save you from being warned/punished and save us mods a lot of trouble.

And kudos to michelle for bumping it.

You always liked Jeremy best! :weenie:

:snowing:

You always liked Jeremy best! :weenie:

Except when it comes to nfl football :lol:

But I've only known him on these boards for what 14 years jeremy? I think it was 1998 or something like that when we first "meet" on wwbb...same for HKY. At the time, along with RW, and the guy from Ga I can't even remember his name, that was pretty much it as far as the SE group(hard to believe our group was so small back then compared to now). There might have been more but At least they are the ones I remember the most but you are talking over a decade and nearly a half ago. (getting old) We are apart of the old guard that's for sure so he absolutely he is one of my favorites.

:cry:

:(

Panthers suck :devilsmiley:

Except when it comes to nfl football :lol:

But I've only known him on these boards for what 14 years jeremy? I think it was 1998 or something like that when we first "meet" on wwbb...same for HKY. At the time, along with RW, and the guy from Ga I can't even remember his name, that was pretty much it as far as the SE group(hard to believe our group was so small back then compared to now).

Lookout,

My guess is that you're referring to the excellent poster, Perry/(aka SouthernWx), someone for whom I have deep respect due to his knowledge of Atlanta area wx history and his ability to make very interesting and informative posts about it. This knowledge is partially due to his excellent records/recall from his older relatives, including one of his grandmothers, that cover as far back as at least to the 1940's. I wish he would resume his frequent posting, but I know his health isn't great. He helped inspire me to post similar Atlanta related info though from a somewhat different perspective (library based microfilmed ATL newspapers a big source instead of relatives since I'm from Savannah; also, mine was centered more on Atlanta, itself, and the N burbs as opposed to his family's area W and SW of town). Due to this, some have gotten us two mixed up, which is always an honor for me. I didn't join WWBB until much later....late 2001 (so, I'm a relative newbie in comparison) when I posted those op. GFS (then called MRF/AVN) cold bias tests ad nauseum during that winter of false frigid alarms on the MRF/AVN. I think even you got sick of them..can't blame you lol...but I still don't regret doing them because the bias was absurdly ridiculous and I thought that was the best way to display it.

Let me know if it is Perry. I'm just educatedly guessing.

Lookout,

My guess is that you're referring to the excellent poster, Perry/(later SouthernWx), someone for whom I have deep respect due to his knowledge of Atlanta area wx history and his ability to make very interesting and informative posts about it. This knowledge is partially due to his excellent records/recall from his older relatives, including one of his grandmothers, that cover as far back as at least to the 1940's. I wish he would resume his frequent posting, but I know his health isn't great. He helped inspire me to post similar Atlanta related info though from a somewhat different perspective (library based microfilmed ATL newspapers a big source instead of relatives since I'm from Savannah; also, mine was centered more on Atlanta, itself, as opposed to his family's area W and SW of town). Due to this, some have gotten us two mixed up, which was always an honor for me. I didn't join WWBB until much later....late 2001 (so, I'm a relative newbie in comparison) when I posted those op. GFS (then called MRF/AVN) cold bias tests ad nauseum during that winter of false frigid alarms on the MRF/AVN. I think even you got sick of them..can't blame you lol...but I still don't regret doing them because the bias was absurdly ridiculous and I thought that was the best way to display it.

Let me know if it is Perry. I'm just educatedly guessing.

That's him, thanks for reminding me. He also posted at the Ga weather forum too. His posts were always fascinating to read and we had some great discussions. Not sure why he stopped posting but at the time, I don't think it was because of health reasons. I think part of the problem was he took things really personally at times unfortunately and he sort of changed. Of course I could be totally wrong about that as I never asked him about his personal life. I think he liked it a lot better too when it was a lot smaller group.

I hate we lost him and certainly wish he would resume his posting, assuming he's able to. He was a great poster..and you are absolutely right, he knew nearly the same amount of historical weather as you did...and that is saying something.

lol at you saying you are a newbie. 11 years is no noob my friend ;) But yeah, you sure harped on it that damn cold bias back then didn't you? :lmao: I remember getting annoyed about you harping on that and climo, no matter what the setup was :lol: Of course you was right quite a bit of the time and it was always interesting to see who would "win" on a winter event.

But of course you are one of the best posters not only in the SE forum but this entire forum... without question. No one and I mean no one can match your research and knowledge in terms of historical weather, climo, etc. I sure hope you don't do a vanishing act too now lol because your knowledge is just amazing. You make the group from Ga proud and you make me proud as well.

We are really really lucky to have you now and to have had you for so long. :)

That's him, thanks for reminding me. He also posted at the Ga weather forum too. His posts were always fascinating to read and we had some great discussions. Not sure why he stopped posting but at the time, I don't think it was because of health reasons. I think part of the problem was he took things really personally at times unfortunately and he sort of changed. Of course I could be totally wrong about that as I never asked him about his personal life. I think he liked it a lot better too when it was a lot smaller group.

I hate we lost him and certainly wish he would resume his posting, assuming he's able to. He was a great poster..and you are absolutely right, he knew nearly the same amount of historical weather as you did...and that is saying something.

lol at you saying you are a newbie. 11 years is no noob my friend ;) But yeah, you sure harped on it that damn cold bias back then didn't you? :lmao: I remember getting annoyed about you harping on that and climo, no matter what the setup was :lol: Of course you was right quite a bit of the time and it was always interesting to see who would "win" on a winter event.

But of course you are one of the best posters not only in the SE forum but this entire forum... without question. No one and I mean no one can match your research and knowledge in terms of historical weather, climo, etc. I sure hope you don't do a vanishing act too now lol because your knowledge is just amazing. You make the group from Ga proud and you make me proud as well.

We are really really lucky to have you now and to have had you for so long. :)

Thanks, Lookout! Much appreciated, especially when coming from a class act and knowledgeable poster as yourself! I would say that Perry is WAY more knowledgeable than me regarding W and SW metro Atlanta for sure. Also, he has the first hand DETAILED reports from relatives that go so far back. My pre-1978 ATL wx related posts have been official/newspaper/city oriented since neither I nor any relatives were in ATL. My personal experiences are much more recent and largely northern burb oriented since I've lived in the N burbs since 1980. OTOH, even his own experiences in/near Douglasville go back well into the 60's. I think he was born around 1961. So, I wouldn't put myself ahead of him by any means in the overall Atlanta metro related wx history category and I'd clearly be behind in certain aspects. Regardless, I do think our posts do well together since we have different perspectives. Aside: I do feel I win the Savannah wx history category easily..well that's very easy since nobody else posts regularly about historical Savannah wx events. ;) Fewer seem to care about Savannah I assume since fewer members live in that area.

You and Perry are certainly THE two GA legends of WWBB. Also, it is time to talk about Lookout, himself. You, yourself, were THE only regular NE GA poster on WWBB as I recall when I arrived in Dec. '01. You have represented NE GA quite well since at least when I started at WWBB. Your very detailed posts about your backyard obs have been second to none. Also, your passion for exciting/stormy/wintry wx has been hard to beat. Through your detailed posts and obs., the reader has been able to experience the events as if they were actually living there. Also, your wx knowledge has to be among the top of all WWBB veteran amateurs. This includes CAD, among other wx phenomena. Your CAD posts and knowledge have always been top notch and have taught me things to help here in Atlanta during CAD. Also, you still know much more than me when it comes to reading soundings. You've been quite generous in sharing the sounding info in posts during wintry precip. events, including those for KATL when I've requested. Furthermore your general model interpretation skills for N GA are hard to beat.

The non-GA folks are probably getting nauseous from our mutual GA poster complimenting by this point lol.

Edit: Not to get too offtrack but : Although he's much newer, Tony (dsaur) is probably the new #1 poster when it comes to longtime personal and very detailed Atlanta area historical wx posts that go back prior to the late 1970's. I think I've seen some as far back as the 1950's. I especially love his accounts of old ZR (especially Jan. 1973) and old IP storms in the ATL area. Plus he cracks me up constantly..probably more than any other SE poster at least. I make sure not to be drinking anything or even eating ice ceam when reading his posts. I don't want to make a mess!!

Thanks, Lookout! Much appreciated, especially when coming from a class act and knowledgeable poster as yourself! I would say that Perry is WAY more knowledgeable than me regarding W and SW metro Atlanta for sure. Also, he has the first hand DETAILED reports from relatives that go so far back. My pre-1978 ATL wx related posts have been official/newspaper/city oriented since neither I nor any relatives were in ATL. My personal experiences are much more recent and largely northern burb oriented since I've lived in the N burbs since 1980. OTOH, even his own experiences in/near Douglasville go back well into the 60's. I think he was born around 1961. So, I wouldn't put myself ahead of him by any means in the overall Atlanta metro related wx history category and I'd clearly be behind in certain aspects. Regardless, I do think our posts do well together since we have different perspectives. Aside: I do feel I win the Savannah wx history category easily since nobody else posts regularly about historical Savannah wx events. Fewer seem to care about Savannah I assume since fewer members live in that area.

You and Perry are certainly THE two GA legends of WWBB. Also, it is time to talk about Lookout, himself. You, yourself, were THE only regular NE GA poster on WWBB as I recall when I arrived in Dec. '01. You have represented NE GA quite well since at least when I started at WWBB. Your very detailed posts about your backyard obs have been second to none. Also, your passion for exciting/stormy/wintry wx has been hard to beat. Through your detailed posts and obs., the reader has been able to experience the events as if they were actually living there. Also, your wx knowledge has to be among the top of all WWBB veteran amateurs. This includes CAD, among other wx phenomena. Your CAD posts and knowledge have always been top notch and have taught me things to help here in Atlanta during CAD. Also, you still know much more than me when it comes to reading soundings. You've been quite generous in sharing the sounding info in posts during wintry precip. events, including those for KATL when I've requested. Furthermore your general model interpretation skills for N GA are hard to beat.

The non-GA folks are probably getting nauseous from our mutual GA poster complimenting by this point lol.

Edit: Not to get too offtrack but : Although he's much newer, Tony (dsaur) is probably the new #1 poster when it comes to longtime personal and very detailed Atlanta area historical wx posts that go back prior to the late 1970's. I think I've seen some as far back as the 1950's. I especially love his accounts of old ZR (especially Jan. 1973) and old IP storms in the ATL area. Plus he makes me lol constantly.

They'll have to deal with it lol :P

We don't talk about ourselves very much anyway. Besides, I don't think anyone from the carolinas mind because the carolina folks are class acts. That is why we have always gotten along and they are such a great group on this board..maybe the best.

But Wow Larry, I don't know what to say. I really really appreciate such kind words. And as you said, coming from someone like yourself, who I have so much respect for, being such a great poster, being so respectful to everyone, and being so knowledgeable that really means lot...it truly does. I don't know if I'm as good as you say I am but thank you so very much. :D

You might not agree but I don't think *anyone*, including perry, is more knowledgeable about atlanta weather, climo, and history as you since you started posting. Perry was great as far as history and storms long ago but the research and data you post is just incredible and there is no one on this board that I've ever seen post the things you do. I'm dead serious about that.

I just wish you would do it for athens :lol::P

Anyway, your post made me blush actually lol. But I'm so grateful though that we have you.

Once again though, I truly am blown away by your very kind words. I truly do thank you Larry and it really means a lot to me :)

I have been following you guys from board to board since the WWBB days and I still believe the core of Southeast posters that have hung together since those days and some of the new members that have latched on since are, by far, the best on AMWX. Glad to be a small part of a great group of people.

I've always believed the southeast group is the best for multiple reasons. I've said it for years and years and I'm also so proud to be apart of it. In fact, I've heard that same thing from quite a few people.

I wouldn't say we are small anymore though. Our membership has exploded over the last few years. Which makes it even more impressive that we are so good because when you have that many people, normally you have a lot of bad apples.

Do we have some weenies and annoying posters? Sure.... but compared to other subforums, man, it's so much better. Aside from the bad apples/weenies, everyone is a class act and knows their stuff.

To everyone here, especially the good ones...and you know who you are, thank you for being so great. Don't let anyone tell you another region is any better.

+1 From someone else who has been around since WWBB.

I have been following you guys from board to board since the WWBB days and I still believe the core of Southeast posters that have hung together since those days and some of the new members that have latched on since are, by far, the best on AMWX. Glad to be a small part of a great group of people.

The se crew is the best :wub:

I've always believed the southeast group is the best for multiple reasons. I've said it for years and years and I'm also so proud to be apart of it. In fact, I've heard that same thing from quite a few people.

I wouldn't say we are small anymore though. Our membership has exploded over the last few years. Which makes it even more impressive that we are so good because when you have that many people, normally you have a lot of bad apples.

Do we have some weenies and annoying posters? Sure.... but compared to other subforums, man, it's so much better. Aside from the bad apples/weenies, everyone is a class act and knows their stuff.

To everyone here, especially the good ones...and you know who you are, thank you for being so great. Don't let anyone tell you another region is any better.

I couldn't have said this any better :wub: The se crew is like a family to me after all these years, and there is nothing better than experiencing what mother nature has to offer with the best group of people here at AMWX :hug:

Taken to the banter thread, lol. Which is proper posting technique...and I hope you'll remember it when I get out of hand come the Big Sleet! T

:lol: I'll be patiently waiting for that day to happen Tony :wub:

Don't you put that evil on us, Ricky Bobby!

DON+T+YOU+PUT+THAT+EVIL+ON+ME+RICKY+BOBBY+_9f8d76876005cff2db11fe5ee28240ad.jpg

check your email you sent to me about stores

Dusting off the plows and fueling up what is needed.... Jason where are you ? I figured you to be right on top of this!

Whoa! Is it getting to be that time on here again already?

42663133578021031.jpeg

been working, always ready.

How did you do with Lisa ? She was lQQking hard for some folks so I sent her to you call me if you want to...

Not appropriate for a pinned thread. Keep this in the banter thread :angry:

I started out on Georgia Weather Board.. saw Weather Channel's weather board back in the day, but decided not to join. Then I heard about WWBB and joined that board; Followed by Eastern.. now AmericanWX. I post very little, just because everyone is very much more advance than me. I certainly have learned some much logging in everyday from everyone over the years. I personally just enjoy reading everyone's thoughts about what could/will happen with our weather. Southeast Group is the BEST! And I thank you all for the experience, I receive from your posts.

• 2 weeks later...

I started out on Georgia Weather Board.. saw Weather Channel's weather board back in the day, but decided not to join. Then I heard about WWBB and joined that board; Followed by Eastern.. now AmericanWX. I post very little, just because everyone is very much more advance than me. I certainly have learned some much logging in everyday from everyone over the years. I personally just enjoy reading everyone's thoughts about what could/will happen with our weather. Southeast Group is the BEST! And I thank you all for the experience, I receive from your posts.

Agreed!

I found WWBB via an internet search and then found Eastern from there. Of course, I found American as a result of that. I also looked at the Almanac and Accuweather boards, but they sort of sucked.

• 3 weeks later...

We've gained a ton of new posters in the past year and trust me, it's awesome to see our community grow such as it has. This place, however, has a good deal of unwritten rules that sometimes is hard for new folks to understand. I know you're not trying to be a pain in the ass but there's a certain code around here that most of us old timers came up with and it should still apply. Here's several rules to make sure your posting experience is as positive as possible:

1. PLEASE do not ask about QPF in every model discussion. All of the major metro areas in NC/SC/GA will invariably always be covered. It may not be immediate but I believe we did a great job covering most areas during the last event. I left Tennessee and Alabama off that list because we just dont have the critical mass of posters there so the likelihood of immediate QPF numbers goes down. We will do our best to include everyone though, I promise.

2. PLEASE do not badger red taggers with IMBY questions.

3. Do not ever declare a bust when an event is just unfolding. You'll get burnt 99 times out of 100 and end up pissing people off. This is actually probably more important than the first two guidelines.

4. Please feel free to add as many obs as possible in the OBS thread, even if you're a lurker. You're almost always downstream of someone who wants to know what could be coming.

5. KEEP WHINING OUT OF EVENT DISCUSSION THREADS. That's what the banter thread is for.

6. Dont begrudge other people their events, even if they are less likely to get it than you climatologically speaking. That's what they do in the other regions and we dont do that here. Never have, never will.

7. You almost never know more about weather than a red tagger, unless it's Analog96.

8. PLEASE only add the coarse images from NCEP.

When replying to a post that includes a large image, delete the image in your reply.

good thread! also, pls try not to be rude and insulting (or pick a fight). we have been over the regional areas (whats in the SE, is n ga I20 etc), and most people know what part of the state they live in.

if people would just read before posting, many times their question has been answered. do not insult pro mets and do not pester them - they are doing us all a huge favor by posting here. and yes, what is posted here is probably not in the official NWS forecasts. the board is for discussion and possibilities.

the thing that i have noticed the most are the new posters seemingly trying to pick a fight or make a mountain out of a mole hill. please be respectful to others

scooter.gif

When someone says this pattern, model run, etc sure looks good for snow....Please try to at least try to generalize what areas of our region it applies to. Can't tell you the number of times I've been fired up after reading something like that only to find out I'm not even close. Now, I just look at the models first.

Not sure why this was moved to banter. It says, "Feel free to add," on the subtitle. Instead of moving a statement that is not agreed with...state your counterpoint. I am not trying to be unreasonable. It is a fair point. So, I'm putting my two cents back here.

I would also add:

1) Please list your location in your profile so when you are discussing your area, we know where your area is.

2) Don't post obs in the discussion thread.

3) Don't post full length NWS discussions or other lengthy commentary in the discussion thread...just post the relevant parts (i.e. if we're talking about a storm in the 5+ day time frame, don't post the near term part of the discussion).

Can I add one more that irks me (and I'm betting others)?

Please don't label a storm a big heaping stinkpile of FAIL just because it didn't plop the desired weather in your back yard. It might stink for you, but odds are its a dream come true for someone else.

It's normal to be disappointed if you miss out, but one of the things I've always liked around here was the heartfelt support for other folks in the South when they FINALLY get snow. I just see a big difference between being in a storm's screw zone and calling it a FAIL because you didn't get what you wanted.

Many thanks!

Just promise us you are not running for Weenie of the Year again. Hopefully the SE does not field a competitive candidate this year, defer the honor to our friends from the north. wink.gif

Back to the etiquette... Members who are hesitant to post because they feel like they may have little to add to the wx discussion, get your feet wet and break the ice in the banter thread. During periods of inactivity the rules are somewhat relaxed, however remember that things you would normally post on a sunny summer afternoon may not be the best thing to post when 1/2 the SE is under a WSW. And lastly, and probably most important, use the report button when you find something objectionable. Odds are others notice it too and if everyone chooses to not do anything, garbage can accumulate and muck up an otherwise active and great discussion quickly. Snowman.gif

Stolen from JamieO

Helpful hints to posting on AmericanWx this winter:

- Post like a Tourette's Syndrome victim on meth

- Be hyper-vigilant about 300+ hour threats

- Always err on the side of ridiculous when posting your snow obs

- Make devastating judgments about the quality of your winter based on one model run losing a storm

- Never relax during a storm - dry slots can happen at any time

- Never go outside during a snowstorm because you'll miss the latest radar update

- A missed storm can be the worst thing that has ever happened in your life. Be sure to share those thoughts in your region's subforum.

- If your region misses a storm, take it out on the subforum of the region that's getting the storm

- Share every single forecast/idea you have, in great detail - what do those red taggers have over you other than experience and expertise?

- The pro-snow mets are like a big brother who always gets you presents and tells you you're awesome all the time

- The anti-snow mets are like a big brother who tries to push you down the basement steps and calls you mean names

- Forky is like a big brother who sets your pet hamster on fire right in front of you

- Smart, reasonable people = Big meanies and are your enemy

- If the staff five-posts you or bans you, never forget there are hundreds of online forums where you can bash AmericanWx

- Never forget that stuff like family, pets, significant others, girlfriends/boyfriends, work, life, etc. all take a back seat to frozen water crystals falling out of the sky

I am pinning this thread again as we head into the home stretch of what was a train-wreck & subsequent hazmat spill kind on winter.  Most are already aware of the posting etiquette, however, some may be new and others may have forgot.  I understand the absence of winter weather can be taxing, our SE sub forum is no exception in the hair-pulling/bickering/etc, I assure you it is happening all over.  However, the time has come to start  clamping down, so consider this a warning.  

These are some posts from the med-long range thread just from the last few days.  Many were reported by our members and deleted, and others were just deleted by staff without a report.  This is an example(s) of what not to post in the weather threads, and for the sake of transparency, these were the entire posts, not just an excerpt of what someone wrote.  I already have a short list of repeat offenders and if we have another report/have to delete another post they make, pm will be coming after the timeout/limited posting tag is on.  Even if you do not think this applies to you, please take a moment to refresh over QC's post top of page 1.  We will be dishing out timeouts and limited posting privileges first, answering questions later, warning giveth.  Thank you

sleep lol

You guys have got to get out and live a little and stop following every little model run likes it's word is bond. You will get your shots at winter weather and life will go on.

12z Blows !!

looking on to spring now...worst winter I can EVER remember...

I remember it well.  

+1

Are you Widre incognito?

Lol same people that were sticking forks in winter after 12z are now trying like hell to pull their forks out....flip flop flip flop

Maybe we'll get enough snow to cover all the bodies at the bottom of the cliff

waiting on cheez to show up and tell us how crappy the run was...... just kidding at least he is honest....brutally

I'm in!

This one is just an excerpt.  Any political speech wx-side is a big no-no, violation of board rules.  Take it to OT/PR, next time I see/here about it, the person is out for an extended forecast.

"do not act like a Republican"

http://www.americanw...tion=boardrules

'psuhoffman', on 05 Feb 2011 - 01:38, said:snapback.png

0z euro run really sucks, its a massive blizzard for NC and Norfolk, 20" plus, probably 10" back to about Richmond, a fringe job for DC, mostly dry for my area. Hopefully the euro is too suppressed.