• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Posting etiquette

BullCityWx

We've gained a ton of new posters in the past year and trust me, it's awesome to see our community grow such as it has. This place, however, has a good deal of unwritten rules that sometimes is hard for new folks to understand. I know you're not trying to be a pain in the ass but there's a certain code around here that most of us old timers came up with and it should still apply. Here's several rules to make sure your posting experience is as positive as possible:

1. PLEASE do not ask about QPF in every model discussion. All of the major metro areas in NC/SC/GA will invariably always be covered. It may not be immediate but I believe we did a great job covering most areas during the last event. I left Tennessee and Alabama off that list because we just dont have the critical mass of posters there so the likelihood of immediate QPF numbers goes down. We will do our best to include everyone though, I promise.

2. PLEASE do not badger red taggers with IMBY questions.

3. Do not ever declare a bust when an event is just unfolding. You'll get burnt 99 times out of 100 and end up pissing people off. This is actually probably more important than the first two guidelines.

4. Please feel free to add as many obs as possible in the OBS thread, even if you're a lurker. You're almost always downstream of someone who wants to know what could be coming.

5. KEEP WHINING OUT OF EVENT DISCUSSION THREADS. That's what the banter thread is for.

6. Dont begrudge other people their events, even if they are less likely to get it than you climatologically speaking. That's what they do in the other regions and we dont do that here. Never have, never will.

7. You almost never know more about weather than a red tagger, unless it's Analog96.

8. PLEASE only add the coarse images from NCEP.

• Like 1

good thread! also, pls try not to be rude and insulting (or pick a fight). we have been over the regional areas (whats in the SE, is n ga I20 etc), and most people know what part of the state they live in.

if people would just read before posting, many times their question has been answered. do not insult pro mets and do not pester them - they are doing us all a huge favor by posting here. and yes, what is posted here is probably not in the official NWS forecasts. the board is for discussion and possibilities.

the thing that i have noticed the most are the new posters seemingly trying to pick a fight or make a mountain out of a mole hill. please be respectful to others

:scooter:

Try not to pick a fight eh? NEGa I hate you. ;)

How much for my area? :guitar::thumbsup: It's a bust? NOOOOOOO. :banned:

i hate you too. i will see you in the parking lot after class. um, and that gosh awful blue bouncing thing needs to be banned. permanently :lmao: most of the people that was really directed at i think have been properly dealt with by our mods since i havent seen many of them around.

i just hope we have enough more winter wx to go this year to make this thread worth while (i mean if it warms up next week and stays that way, a lot of the posters will disappear lol)

i hate you too. i will see you in the parking lot after class. um, and that gosh awful blue bouncing thing needs to be banned. permanently :lmao: most of the people that was really directed at i think have been properly dealt with by our mods since i havent seen many of them around.

i just hope we have enough more winter wx to go this year to make this thread worth while (i mean if it warms up next week and stays that way, a lot of the posters will disappear lol)

I'm not going to school tomorrow now. :lol: Yeah, the mods have done a great job keeping the southeast sub-forum from getting out of control like the mid-atlantic and northeast ones. :thumbsup: Oh and the blue turd gave me six inches of snow. That thing is golden. :bike:

When someone says this pattern, model run, etc sure looks good for snow....Please try to at least try to generalize what areas of our region it applies to. Can't tell you the number of times I've been fired up after reading something like that only to find out I'm not even close. Now, I just look at the models first.

Not sure why this was moved to banter. It says, "Feel free to add," on the subtitle. Instead of moving a statement that is not agreed with...state your counterpoint. I am not trying to be unreasonable. It is a fair point. So, I'm putting my two cents back here.

6. Dont begrudge other people their events, even if they are less likely to get it than you climatologically speaking. That's what they do in the other regions and we dont do that here. Never have, never will.

THIS is what got my goat during the last event!! As many times as we (Georgia guys/gals) have sat on the sidelines and rooted for our SE brethren while we got 33F and rain, there was plain nastiness by a few in here over us getting our once in every Blue Moon storm. Very disappointing. I realize that everyone is truly concerned about their backyard 1st and foremost and that's understandable. On the other hand, no one here controls the weather so if I can't get mine, I will be more than happy for you to get yours! (just be sure to post pics! :) )

THIS is what got my goat during the last event!! As many times as we (Georgia guys/gals) have sat on the sidelines and rooted for our SE brethren while we got 33F and rain, there was plain nastiness by a few in here over us getting our once in every Blue Moon storm. Very disappointing. I realize that everyone is truly concerned about their backyard 1st and foremost and that's understandable. On the other hand, no one here controls the weather so if I can't get mine, I will be more than happy for you to get yours! (just be sure to post pics! :) )

i agree - this year ga has been fortunate, but not the last few years. i think the 'regional bias' posts and in fighting in the se thread is what has really irked me this year. i have never felt this board to be 'nc' biased 'ga' biased etc. as we grow with more posters and have access to new info we can certainly try to be sure and include those areas. but just because n ga (or the upstate, or piedmont of nc) is in the bullseye, doesnt mean those out of it need to be nasty and say that the board is biased.

seems pretty obvious to me that whatever area the so called 'jackpot' is expected to be, is of course going to be the area of primary concern for a while.

Also, please quit arguing over the definition of NORTH GEORGIA?? and Where ATL is...I LIVE IN GA! and this annoys me! For minute details of a storm please ck your NWS or some intelligent person's call map in the thread....geesh.:facepalm:

LOL! We were just talking about this either yesterday or the day before. What a knucklehead. Birmingham, when I was being raised there, was always considered N. Central Alabama. Anything above 278 (Cullman County northward) was always considered the northern 3rd of Alabama. Here in GA, it really has never been clearly defined but common sense dictates........or should.

LOL! We were just talking about this either yesterday or the day before. What a knucklehead. Birmingham, when I was being raised there, was always considered N. Central Alabama. Anything above 278 (Cullman County northward) was always considered the northern 3rd of Alabama. Here in GA, it really has never been clearly defined but common sense dictates........or should.

I-20 and north IMO

1. PLEASE do not ask about QPF in every model discussion. All of the major metro areas in NC/SC/GA will invariably always be covered. It may not be immediate but I believe we did a great job covering most areas during the last event. I left Tennessee and Alabama off that list because we just dont have the critical mass of posters there so the likelihood of immediate QPF numbers goes down. We will do our best to include everyone though, I promise.

5. KEEP WHINING OUT OF EVENT DISCUSSION THREADS. That's what the banter thread is for.

7. You almost never know more about weather than a red tagger, unless it's Analog96.

:thumbsup: Great post :)

Well said Dixie :wub:

I would also add:

1) Please list your location in your profile so when you are discussing your area, we know where your area is.

2) Don't post obs in the discussion thread.

3) Don't post full length NWS discussions or other lengthy commentary in the discussion thread...just post the relevant parts (i.e. if we're talking about a storm in the 5+ day time frame, don't post the near term part of the discussion).

i just made a post in the banter thread, and realized i meant to put part of it here lol. i think there may be some confusion with some - the issue isnt really not asking questions and not learning. its not doing so in the main storm/model discussion thread. there is a logical reason for this -

remember, when the mets and pro forecasters are talking about the latest runs, they are doing so in real time as we all are. so they dont have the time to analyze and read all of the panels for all areas. they focus on their areas, of course, and the blanks get filled in as the discussion progresses. they are taking time to post their comments here free, and this is their profession, and that is the time for them to shine :sun:

maybe we could have two threads on the models - the main one and a novice one :thumbsup: letting the novice one have a lot more questions and sort of a learn as you go thread. we all had to learn, and most in the se thread readily answer questions. but the IMBY questions as the models are running and being analyzed is just not really the most appropriate thing to go in that thread.

i guess i just dont understand what the big deal is about keeping the main discussion thread clean and for a specific purpose (and keeping out unnecessary posts).

ask the same question in another thread, and not at the model run time, and chances are you will receive a much different response.

We've gained a ton of new posters in the past year and trust me, it's awesome to see our community grow such as it has. This place, however, has a good deal of unwritten rules that sometimes is hard for new folks to understand. I know you're not trying to be a pain in the ass but there's a certain code around here that most of us old timers came up with and it should still apply. Here's several rules to make sure your posting experience is as positive as possible:

3. Do not ever declare a bust when an event is just unfolding. You'll get burnt 99 times out of 100 and end up pissing people off. This is actually probably more important than the first two guidelines.

4. Please feel free to add as many obs as possible in the OBS thread, even if you're a lurker. You're almost always downstream of someone who wants to know what could be coming.

8. PLEASE only add the coarse images from NCEP.

BUMP :whistle:

ahem

Hi :wub:

And don't urinate on the models. Call them names, dress them up like Miss Piggy and laugh at them, but leave the watering to the professionals. Folks work really hard to bring us these messages of joy each day, and only those who truely understand them would know the proper time to excrete on them :) If you had grown up in the 50's when the only model anyone knew about was wearing fancy cloths, you'd know just how lucky the hobbiest is now. T

I-20 and north IMO

95% of everyone understands this is the usual delineation line between north and central GA, this winter and the last couple winters we've had some posters (who all seemed to live near Carrollton, a city WSW of Atlanta, just south of 20) who would continuously ask if there backyard was included in north GA. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

And don't urinate on the models. Call them names, dress them up like Miss Piggy and laugh at them, but leave the watering to the professionals. Folks work really hard to bring us these messages of joy each day, and only those who truely understand them would know the proper time to excrete on them :) If you had grown up in the 50's when the only model anyone knew about was wearing fancy cloths, you'd know just how lucky the hobbiest is now. T

I hate when people rag on models when they don't show a solution they like. This mainly applies to the GFS, but people have even tossed out the Euro in certain situations. Every major model-the GFS, GGEM, Euro, NAM, UKMET-is worthy of consideration. Verification scores differ by a pretty small margin, there's no justification to completely throw out a model for being ever so slightly worse than another.