Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Posting etiquette

BullCityWx

So are #'s 1, 2 & 5 

Trying to figure out what rule I broke by responding to a question about a weather map with actual weather discussion.  If it was an IMBY concern, the question still remains, but my response was deleted.  My suggestion would be to ease up on that trigger finger (I do understand it is hard to moderate at times like these).

Trying to figure out what rule I broke by responding to a question about a weather map with actual weather discussion.  If it was an IMBY concern, the question still remains, but my response was deleted.  My suggestion would be to ease up on that trigger finger (I do understand it is hard to moderate at times like these).

Some friendly advice.......continue to read until you do get it 

Stolen from JamieO

Helpful hints to posting on AmericanWx this winter:

- The pro-snow mets are like a big brother who always gets you presents and tells you you're awesome all the time

- The anti-snow mets are like a big brother who tries to push you down the basement steps and calls you mean names

Truer words have never been spoken!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

We've gained a ton of new posters in the past year and trust me, it's awesome to see our community grow such as it has. This place, however, has a good deal of unwritten rules that sometimes is hard for new folks to understand. I know you're not trying to be a pain in the ass but there's a certain code around here that most of us old timers came up with and it should still apply. Here's several rules to make sure your posting experience is as positive as possible:

1. PLEASE do not ask about QPF in every model discussion. All of the major metro areas in NC/SC/GA will invariably always be covered. It may not be immediate but I believe we did a great job covering most areas during the last event. I left Tennessee and Alabama off that list because we just dont have the critical mass of posters there so the likelihood of immediate QPF numbers goes down. We will do our best to include everyone though, I promise.

2. PLEASE do not badger red taggers with IMBY questions.

3. Do not ever declare a bust when an event is just unfolding. You'll get burnt 99 times out of 100 and end up pissing people off. This is actually probably more important than the first two guidelines.

4. Please feel free to add as many obs as possible in the OBS thread, even if you're a lurker. You're almost always downstream of someone who wants to know what could be coming.

5. KEEP WHINING OUT OF EVENT DISCUSSION THREADS. That's what the banter thread is for.

6. Dont begrudge other people their events, even if they are less likely to get it than you climatologically speaking. That's what they do in the other regions and we dont do that here. Never have, never will.

7. You almost never know more about weather than a red tagger, unless it's Analog96.

8. PLEASE only add the coarse images from NCEP.

I am pinning this thread again as we head into the home stretch of what was a train-wreck & subsequent hazmat spill kind on winter.  Most are already aware of the posting etiquette, however, some may be new and others may have forgot.  I understand the absence of winter weather can be taxing, our SE sub forum is no exception in the hair-pulling/bickering/etc, I assure you it is happening all over.  However, the time has come to start  clamping down, so consider this a warning.  

These are some posts from the med-long range thread just from the last few days.  Many were reported by our members and deleted, and others were just deleted by staff without a report.  This is an example(s) of what not to post in the weather threads, and for the sake of transparency, these were the entire posts, not just an excerpt of what someone wrote.  I already have a short list of repeat offenders and if we have another report/have to delete another post they make, pm will be coming after the timeout/limited posting tag is on.  Even if you do not think this applies to you, please take a moment to refresh over QC's post top of page 1.  We will be dishing out timeouts and limited posting privileges first, answering questions later, warning giveth.  Thank you

sleep lol

You guys have got to get out and live a little and stop following every little model run likes it's word is bond. You will get your shots at winter weather and life will go on.

12z Blows !!

looking on to spring now...worst winter I can EVER remember...

I remember it well.  

+1

Are you Widre incognito?

Lol same people that were sticking forks in winter after 12z are now trying like hell to pull their forks out....flip flop flip flop

Maybe we'll get enough snow to cover all the bodies at the bottom of the cliff

waiting on cheez to show up and tell us how crappy the run was...... just kidding at least he is honest....brutally

I'm in!

This one is just an excerpt.  Any political speech wx-side is a big no-no, violation of board rules.  Take it to OT/PR, next time I see/here about it, the person is out for an extended forecast.

"do not act like a Republican"

http://www.americanw...tion=boardrules

'psuhoffman', on 05 Feb 2011 - 01:38, said:snapback.png

0z euro run really sucks, its a massive blizzard for NC and Norfolk, 20" plus, probably 10" back to about Richmond, a fringe job for DC, mostly dry for my area. Hopefully the euro is too suppressed.

If your posts are similar to the above......you should not be posting in the pinned thread. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We've gained a ton of new posters in the past year and trust me, it's awesome to see our community grow such as it has. This place, however, has a good deal of unwritten rules that sometimes is hard for new folks to understand. I know you're not trying to be a pain in the ass but there's a certain code around here that most of us old timers came up with and it should still apply. Here's several rules to make sure your posting experience is as positive as possible:

1. PLEASE do not ask about QPF in every model discussion. All of the major metro areas in NC/SC/GA will invariably always be covered. It may not be immediate but I believe we did a great job covering most areas during the last event. I left Tennessee and Alabama off that list because we just dont have the critical mass of posters there so the likelihood of immediate QPF numbers goes down. We will do our best to include everyone though, I promise.

3. Do not ever declare a bust when an event is just unfolding. You'll get burnt 99 times out of 100 and end up pissing people off. This is actually probably more important than the first two guidelines.

4. Please feel free to add as many obs as possible in the OBS thread, even if you're a lurker. You're almost always downstream of someone who wants to know what could be coming.

5. KEEP WHINING OUT OF EVENT DISCUSSION THREADS. That's what the banter thread is for.

6. Dont begrudge other people their events, even if they are less likely to get it than you climatologically speaking. That's what they do in the other regions and we dont do that here. Never have, never will.

7. You almost never know more about weather than a red tagger, unless it's Analog96.

When replying to a post that includes a large image, delete the image in your reply.

good thread! also, pls try not to be rude and insulting (or pick a fight). we have been over the regional areas (whats in the SE, is n ga I20 etc), and most people know what part of the state they live in.

if people would just read before posting, many times their question has been answered. do not insult pro mets and do not pester them - they are doing us all a huge favor by posting here. and yes, what is posted here is probably not in the official NWS forecasts. the board is for discussion and possibilities.

the thing that i have noticed the most are the new posters seemingly trying to pick a fight or make a mountain out of a mole hill. please be respectful to others

scooter.gif

When someone says this pattern, model run, etc sure looks good for snow....Please try to at least try to generalize what areas of our region it applies to. Can't tell you the number of times I've been fired up after reading something like that only to find out I'm not even close. Now, I just look at the models first.

Not sure why this was moved to banter. It says, "Feel free to add," on the subtitle. Instead of moving a statement that is not agreed with...state your counterpoint. I am not trying to be unreasonable. It is a fair point. So, I'm putting my two cents back here.

lol good post. I've seen some do this here more and more when it doesn't show a solution they like and it's been a bit annoying. Let's say it's the nam for example, I always get a kick out of people who will cream their pants over something it shows if it hammers their backyard but if it's too warm or it doesn't hit them, you instantly get proclamations that it sucks, it's "only the nam", etc, etc. Sure as the sun rises it's going to happen every time. Sometimes it is warranted but often times you see it simply because it doesn't show the most extreme solution or it doesn't hit their backyard hard. You would expect this from some but unfortunately there are some who should know better who do it too.

BUMP  :)  

Now that we are heading into winter and our traffic has increased, it's once again time to bring out the posting etiquette for everyone to read. 

Keep the discussion in the PINNED threads on topic. If you find your posts being deleted or moved to banter, change your posting habits before timeouts are issued. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2011 at 4:12 PM, Queencitywx said:

On 1/20/2011 at 5:47 PM, NEGa said:

good thread! also, pls try not to be rude and insulting (or pick a fight). we have been over the regional areas (whats in the SE, is n ga I20 etc), and most people know what part of the state they live in.

if people would just read before posting, many times their question has been answered. do not insult pro mets and do not pester them - they are doing us all a huge favor by posting here. and yes, what is posted here is probably not in the official NWS forecasts. the board is for discussion and possibilities.

the thing that i have noticed the most are the new posters seemingly trying to pick a fight or make a mountain out of a mole hill. please be respectful to others

:scooter:

On 1/20/2011 at 7:07 PM, NavarreDon said:

Kinda new to the site & it is a wealth of info. Pretty easy to pick up the theme of the board if you follow along & have some smarts.

Words I try to live by....Read more post less. Unless you are a Met or one of the more knowledgeable posters. Then of course the opposite is true. :thumbsup:

On 1/20/2011 at 7:14 PM, DixieBlizzard said:

THIS is what got my goat during the last event!! As many times as we (Georgia guys/gals) have sat on the sidelines and rooted for our SE brethren while we got 33F and rain, there was plain nastiness by a few in here over us getting our once in every Blue Moon storm. Very disappointing. I realize that everyone is truly concerned about their backyard 1st and foremost and that's understandable. On the other hand, no one here controls the weather so if I can't get mine, I will be more than happy for you to get yours! (just be sure to post pics! :) )

On 1/20/2011 at 8:36 PM, Cold Rain said:

I would also add:

1) Please list your location in your profile so when you are discussing your area, we know where your area is.

2) Don't post obs in the discussion thread.

3) Don't post full length NWS discussions or other lengthy commentary in the discussion thread...just post the relevant parts (i.e. if we're talking about a storm in the 5+ day time frame, don't post the near term part of the discussion).

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD.......THEN READ AGAIN :)