joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/22-1/24 Cold Temperatures

weatherMA

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty sharp vortmax coming in ahead of the main shot of cold sunday morning. wouldn't be surprised if it's enough to set off some snow flurries/showers/squalls of some sort around the area. lots of dry air but doesn't take much.

it actually helps tug some moisture west from lp developing offshore and tries to curl some light snows back my way in addition to any oes type stuff that tries to develop. something to watch.

post-218-0-81922500-1295651924.png

pretty sharp vortmax coming in ahead of the main shot of cold sunday morning. wouldn't be surprised if it's enough to set off some snow flurries/showers/squalls of some sort around the area. lots of dry air but doesn't take much.

Yeah the coldfront has a nice appearance to it on mslp progs. It even looked like it wanted to clip the elbow with light snow.

it actually helps tug some moisture west from lp developing offshore and tries to curl some light snows back my way in addition to any oes type stuff that tries to develop. something to watch.

Windex puts BDl over their all time Jan record tainted though but by Wed it will not matter, they only need a tenth according to Wizzer

Some 12z or 18z (the colder of the 2) GFS MOS lows for up here Monday morning...

BML -32F

HIE -32F

LEB -29F

EEN -23F

AFN -21F

CON -19F

LCI -16F

DAW -13F

ASH -12F

MHT -10F

PSM -10F

kinda afraid to take my almost 14 yr old golden retriever out to pee and poo on sun and mon morns...my coldest morning here is about -20 in early 09. Just got home from 2 days away. Man what a scene up here! The 7 inches of fluff from the last 2 days really made an impact, tremendous snowpack that is not going anywhere soon. You got 4 ft in 07-08 right? Well we might have 35-40 on Thursday

kinda afraid to take my almost 14 yr old golden retriever out to pee and poo on sun and mon morns...my coldest morning here is about -20 in early 09. Just got home from 2 days away. Man what a scene up here! The 7 inches of fluff from the last 2 days really made an impact, tremendous snowpack that is not going anywhere soon. You got 4 ft in 07-08 right? Well we might have 35-40 on Thursday

I had 43" max on 3/1/08.

A little OT, but check out the MOS temps for Fairbanks over the next couple days.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getall.pl?sta=PAFA

-54F :lol:

I had 43" max on 3/1/08.

A little OT, but check out the MOS temps for Fairbanks over the next couple days.

http://www.nws.noaa....all.pl?sta=PAFA

-54F :lol:

we closed on our house 30 days later and there was still 2 ft around.

I just got offered a piece of work in Anchorage on March 1...not sure I want to experience -54. -20 is rough enough

It looks like models maybe a couple degrees warmer at 850 as compared to what was modeled yesterday, but I don't think it translates much to the surface. Maybe a degree or so warmer. I still don't know of Logan can reach 0. It might be just that..0. My guess is that it could be -1F. Despite the temps in the upper teens to near 20 tomorrow, cold air delivery should be superb with fresh snowcover and a decent wind direction.

It looks like models maybe a couple degrees warmer at 850 as compared to what was modeled yesterday, but I don't think it translates much to the surface. Maybe a degree or so warmer. I still don't know of Logan can reach 0. It might be just that..0. My guess is that it could be -1F. Despite the temps in the upper teens to near 20 tomorrow, cold air delivery should be superb with fresh snowcover and a decent wind direction.

12z NAM is pretty cold, but it may not help BOS much. The MET came in this morning with a high of 1F for LCI on Monday. It's some sneaky low level cold below H85. 950/925 temps 12z Mon are about -27C here with 850s warming to -22C. By 21z the H95 temps are -20C so with the high cresting overhead it should be one of those relatively light wind, cold, arctic inversion days with full sun. If the interior west of BOS radiates and gets cold enough maybe BOS can get a little westerly drainage wind in the AM. It'll probably be close.

12z NAM is pretty cold, but it may not help BOS much. The MET came in this morning with a high of 1F for LCI on Monday. It's some sneaky low level cold below H85. 950/925 temps 12z Mon are about -27C here with 850s warming to -22C. By 21z the H95 temps are -20C so with the high cresting overhead it should be one of those relatively light wind, cold, arctic inversion days with full sun. If the interior west of BOS radiates and gets cold enough maybe BOS can get a little westerly drainage wind in the AM. It'll probably be close.

Logan ideally is great on a nnw delivery. NW is ok. Any more westerly component, and it brings the warmth from downtown, towards the terminal. This thing really seems to have a strong push of shallow cold air, as is typical with arctic airmass, so it might work to the advantage of Logan. MAV has -2 now.

Either way, Monday will be exactly like you said. Very little mixing with light winds. It probably won't feel as cold as the thermo reads, but the morning hours could be one of those things where it's painful to take quick, deep breaths..lol.

this cold snap should ensure a below normal month (perhaps substantially so) at the 4 big sites

not including today:

bos +.6

orh +.3

bdl -.4

pvd -.1

Four NH/ME sites, thru 1/21:

CON...+2.0

PWM..+3.3

BGR...+4.0

CAR...+9.2

1st 3 could well drop below avg by 31st; not likely for CAR - would need 22-31 to avg -10F daily means, which they've never had for a 10-day stretch.

CAR has the least snowfall of the four, and with 7" OG less than half the next lowest, PWM with 18". (BGR shows 15", but that's likely a noontime measurement yest. They had 17.3" for the storm and had a few inches OG before it came.)

Archived