• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
'10-'11 Total to date

weatherMA

:lmao: :lmao: I agree, could you imagine a town along a 110 mile+ stretch of land adjacent to a body of water having a difference of 3-5 inches of snow, especially with 3 different mesoscale events, and a couple deformation bands that sat in any one spot for 3 hours++/

3.5 inches would be impossible. LOL :lmao: :lmao:

How do you measure? You don't have a weather station, do you? Randomly guessing or using other people's observations and subtracting a few degrees for fun doesn't cut it.....watching radar and imagining that because you are under a band doesn't count. Wanting more snow and to be just a hair colder than everyone else isn't going to make it true.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and GON averaged a mere 22" in the last 40 years since 1970, and 24.5" since 1948. BDR averaged 29" and that is well west of here and is often snow when eastern CT is rain. So I feel fairly confident it is between 25-27". But thank you for your input on my climo.

I'm sure Groton's average would be higher than that historically, similar to how Central Park's 100-year average is around 28.5" while the 1971-2000 normal was 22.4" I believe. Except for the last 10 years, the 1970-2010 period was not a snowy one on the coast....the only good winter in the 70s was 77-78 (76-77 was good for Eastern New England but probably not as much there), there were no blockbuster winters in the 80s (86-87 was more a Mid-Atlantic affair), and the 90s basically sucked outside of the two blockbuster winters of 93-94 and 95-96. Whatever the reason is, we've certainly entered a much snowier cycle since 00-01, a cycle that seems to be amplifying with extremely snowy winters starting with 08-09. I tend to think the 30-year period from 2000-2030 is going to be a kind one for the coastal plain in terms of snowfall, but we'll see...

Did you record snowfall at your house any other years besides this one? Also, are there any other stations that might have a 100-year record in the area? I think you might be underestimating a bit since Groton Airport is basically a peninsula in LI Sound, so anyone inland is going to average quite a bit more. BDR is also known for low measurements, just ask William about Sirkosky Airport's dubious ruler. A 25" average is more like PHL area, and I think you are definitely going to be higher than that region since you get in on a lot more Miller Bs....do you know how much you got in 04-05? That was probably a blockbuster winter for New London County with all the late-blooming coastals...I know LI had around 80" and some parts of Cape Cod near 100". I realize New London County is a screw zone but I doubt you average 15" less snow per season than I do.

I would say 18-19. It wasn't one of my favorites because the snow was so light and fluffy and the day after Christmas just about all of it was gone. But you're right, other than January 2005 this was one of the few storms over the past decade where the South Coast has jackpotted.

Curious what did you recieve during the Jan 2005 blizzard?

How do you measure? You don't have a weather station, do you? Randomly guessing or using other people's observations and subtracting a few degrees for fun doesn't cut it.....watching radar and imagining that because you are under a band doesn't count. Wanting more snow and to be just a hair colder than everyone else isn't going to make it true.

Absolutely John, one needs a weather station to measure snow, how is the one you use? Oh thats rights you use somebody elses!! As for measuring snow, I always wondered how you did it, since you actually have to get outside every 6 hours, something you dont do. I wondered how long it would take for you to personally attack me here, I am shocked it did not happen at 3 am when your drunk. The sad thing is, whether your sober or not, your still a bad person. Have a great day, I look forward to more of your personal attacks.

Quite impressive so far here in Southbury, CT. 62.6" on the year and 46.2" in January thanks to 15.5" during the 1/7 event and getting 28" on 1/11-12. It's not often I have nearly 2x as much snow as Caribou, ME (LOL)!

Even more anomalous is that you likely have 4-5X the snow depth of CAR...in mid January. This last event tripled their snow depth, all the way to 6". Except for the outer Cape and ACK, NE Aroostook appears to have the least snow OG of anywhere in New England...in mid January. CAR is also running +10.5 for the month, though the upcoming cold blast should allow them to finish the month about +2-3, albeit with continued way below avg snowfall.

Archived