• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

Last year was the worst snow year in the northern and central rockies of CO for decades. I lived in summit co from 92-99 and we only had one so-so year but we still bitched alot. Abasin only hit like 65" for a base that year (can't remember which year) and the backcountry never filled in well but total snow still hit 300". We had multiple 400" years though so I guess we were spoiled during the 90's.  

Last year the base barely hit 60 but the season was terrible. Spring snowfall was way off and that's the most important. This year Abasin is still sitting @ 22" base with less than 100" falling. They aren't even 50% open and it's late Jan. From what I hear, it's absolutely horrific conditions too. It's like that in many areas east of the pac coast ranges except for Wyoming. Jackson is doing well. If this keep up, it could be the worst year in modern history for CO resorts. We need a Nino bad man! For everyone's sanity!

yea my spring break this year is late March, usually prime time for a late season ski trip.  This year I am getting nervous.  New England and out west are doing awful.  Not sure where I will go, perhaps Salt Lake City since they seem to squeeze every last bit of moisture out of any pattern and seem to always do at least OK at Alta/Snowbird.  The colorado resorts are really bad right now.  They might get a dump this week but then it looks dry again after that.  Last year they at least got about 100" during late January into Early Feb, if they go into March with a 30" base this year and the pattern turns warm and dry like it might...well they may not have much open by late March. 

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I correct that this storm was the last area-wide WSW criteria snowfall we have had? Am I forgetting one between then and now?

Bump.

The chase for an area-wide Winter Storm Warning criteria snowfall continues. This is still the last storm to achieve that mark.

Three year anniverary in January if we can't catch a break between now and then.

Bump.

The chase for an area-wide Winter Storm Warning criteria snowfall continues. This is still the last storm to achieve that mark.

Three year anniverary in January if we can't catch a break between now and then.

Yeah, this fact has been sticking in the back of my mind.  Especially after last winter provided us with our 2nd really cr@ppy one in a row.  I think that's why the March 5-6, 2013 (non)-event was so painful for most everyone around here.  It really looked like finally we'd break our bad streak area-wide, and we ended up with white rain (though some areas in the farther western burbs fared OK).  I scored 4" of very picturesque snow early in the morning of March 25th, but that was hardly the metro area as a whole, and technically was not warning criteria either (BWI and IAD did get ~3" from that event as well).

Edit:  Amazing that this "old" storm thread has been bumped at least a couple of times in the past (nearly) 3 years.  That ought to say something!

The conditions experienced in the storm were phenomenal, some of the best snow conditions one could ask for. Absolutely ripping heavy snow and thundersnow frequently in some locales. 

Basically got 11 inches here with the main system in a little over 4 hours. Wish it happened during daylight to see those rates. Just imagine if the storm would have slowed down for at least a couple more hours.

This forum-- I did NOT have Ws Warning criteria in this event. Seems like this means the LWX CWA-- not this sub.

Didn't you cash in a bunch last year?

Balt/DC and areas in-between and around have not seen a Warning criteria area-wide snowfall since the PSU hoffman storm. Not even close. Not even remotely close. It has been fallow. And continues to be so.

Balt/DC and areas in-between and around have not seen a Warning criteria area-wide snowfall since the PSU hoffman storm. Not even close. Not even remotely close. It has been fallow. And continues to be so.

Baltimore had warning criteria snow in spots 3-4 weeks after 1/26/11, and IMBY I saw 4.5" in that late March storm last spring which probably qualifies even though I didn't actually get a warning (the snow overperformed a bit).

But when it comes to a widespread, area-wide warning, you're right, not since the psuhoffman storm.

Balt/DC and areas in-between and around have not seen a Warning criteria area-wide snowfall since the PSU hoffman storm. Not even close. Not even remotely close. It has been fallow. And continues to be so.

Yes. Had 4 wsw arnings verify at my house since Hoffman storm. However, my point was people on this forum talk like we don't exist outside lwx cwa.. :)

• 4 years later...
On 12/4/2012 at 6:46 PM, gymengineer said:

We suffered after '95/'96 with a 6 winter stretch averaging 7.4" at DCA. We suffered after '02/'03 with a 6 winter stretch averaging 10" at DCA. After '86/'87 was a better stretch of 8 winters averaging 12" at DCA, but of course '86/'87 was much less than '95/'96 or '02/'03.

I know this is a over half a decade outdated, but I was just perusing through only storm threads, and this got me interested in wondering how the 6 winter stretch was for DC after 09/10, and it averaged 14.6" of snow, so not terrible, especially when considering storms where DC probably under measured

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

I know this is a over half a decade outdated, but I was just perusing through only storm threads, and this got me interested in wondering how the 6 winter stretch was for DC after 09/10, and it averaged 14.6" of snow, so not terrible, especially when considering storms where DC probably under measured

The 3 winters after 2009-10 were horrible in DC (especially the last 2). Then the following 3 winters were good. Then the last 2 sucked.

10/11 was rife with missed opportunity and wasted cold/blocking (sound familiar?). 

11/12 was a disaster everywhere. 

12/13 were awful for points east, but decent out here with a surprise White Christmas, another moderate event a few days after, and finally MECS in March; it marks the ONLY winter where we actually did better than the urban corridor.

13/14 was a dream, and not just the winter.  It is the high-water mark for a calendar-year of weather in these parts.

14/15 was terrible until mid-Feb, but had a nice finish.

15/16 was a 1-week winter, culminating in the HECS.  It was a hot mess outside of that.

16/17 was a dumster fire throughout the region.

17/18 was the single-worst winter IMBY in my lifetime.... hands down.  Yet, great for the beaches, and near climo for areas just north.

Unfortunately this storm thread sucked for me. I had the flu and it was the sickest I've been in my adult life. When we lost power I had 25 pounds of blankets piled up and I layed there shivering in the dark wondering why God was punishing me. Great storm....terrible experience. 

5 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Unfortunately this storm thread sucked for me. I had the flu and it was the sickest I've been in my adult life. When we lost power I had 25 pounds of blankets piled up and I layed there shivering in the dark wondering why God was punishing me. Great storm....terrible experience. 

Literally in the same boat. I had pneumonia and even went to work that morning to open the store, only to be sent home immediately by my boss. They wanted me in there that morning for whatever reason, but I looked like an ad for death coming in, so the decision was easy. I laid at home and slept through the afternoon after bombing myself with meds. My dad was watching radar the whole day and it dumped from the time it switched to when it ended. Around a foot of snow in a very short time frame, but was not able to enjoy any of it as I laid there coughing up a lung on the couch. I watched the snow fall and listened to the rumbles of thunder, all while taking my nebulizer treatments and trying to get air. Asthma and pneumonia are a terrible mix. 

7 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Literally in the same boat. I had pneumonia and even went to work that morning to open the store, only to be sent home immediately by my boss. They wanted me in there that morning for whatever reason, but I looked like an ad for death coming in, so the decision was easy. I laid at home and slept through the afternoon after bombing myself with meds. My dad was watching radar the whole day and it dumped from the time it switched to when it ended. Around a foot of snow in a very short time frame, but was not able to enjoy any of it as I laid there coughing up a lung on the couch. I watched the snow fall and listened to the rumbles of thunder, all while taking my nebulizer treatments and trying to get air. Asthma and pneumonia are a terrible mix. 

I have asthma and had the flu and pneumonia earlier this year and thought I was gonna die it was awful. Luckily for me I didn't miss much but I was out of it for a while. 

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I have asthma and had the flu and pneumonia earlier this year and thought I was gonna die it was awful. Luckily for me I didn't miss much but I was out of it for a while. 

I remember that. I was on overnights one night and we were talking about the pattern at like 230am because your prednisone was kicking your a** and keeping you awake most nights. Breathing is underrated man. This was an awesome storm though. Textbook H5 vort pass. I want another 

It was an awesome storm here but I didn’t really get to enjoy it either since I was in college at the time (in UMD), which was one of the worst spots in the whole metro area. Got 4” of slop there while at home it was 14” of paste.

Luckily I’ve seen many other great storms since then, but still, I regret not finding a way to get back home in time for this one.

Archived