Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

This is why I like the day 7 threat, look where the H5 track is

GFS1.gif

one thing is for sure.. you can't get this from looking at water vapor loop. the models kicked some arse on this one if not at the surface the whole time.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and to think it ended up further south and closed off makes me think we had a horse shoe where the sun don't shine

well for 8.5 days -- after truncation -- out it had the location in nc almost nailed. there were a few waffles but for a thread the needle it seemed kind of easy.

and to think it ended up further south and closed off makes me think we had a horse shoe where the sun don't shine

not really further south, the track of the vort was right on, but it was not amplified enough. Also something I have noticed, if the trough axis is right and should allow for amplification, it probably will. Models have their problems but they are very useful if you know how to correct for their likely errors.

The higher water content of this snow will make it slower to melt, right? I also notice that the plowed piles of the 8-inch snowfall resemble those of a 12-inch snow. Less compaction. Some impressive piles.

Yeah I was surprised how little we lost today, I guess a lot of the 'next-day' melting happened during the storm this time.

Hey folks,

I was out shoveling last night and saw several blue/pink/red flashes lighting up the sky. Don't think it was lighting since no "clap" came along. Was this transformers/lines coming down throughout the area? Work colleague saw similar in Ellicott City.

The slop was sure heavy this morning after the plows made a liquid laden snow wall around the driveway.

Hey folks,

I was out shoveling last night and saw several blue/pink/red flashes lighting up the sky. Don't think it was lighting since no "clap" came along. Was this transformers/lines coming down throughout the area? Work colleague saw similar in Ellicott City.

The slop was sure heavy this morning after the plows made a liquid laden snow wall around the driveway.

probably transformers especially if it was late. i think some of the thundersnow reports were probably just transformers blowing up...

If you look the any lightning detection map during the night you'd realize that probably 99% of the "lightning" reports were bogus.

no doubt. i think people feel like it's part of the experience even though you can get amazing rates and be in the same band without getting thunder. i heard 2 claps as the stuff came in but it was mainly rain/sleet at that pt. i did get one rumble about 6p and there were many other reports in the city around that time. i was out later and saw flashes which i came back and said might have been lightning but after seeing radar etc i'd probably say they were transformers in the distance. i've heard t-snow wont always show on detectors but im not sure that makes sense.

You have sounded upset for a while now about not getting any TSSN.

Who said I didn't? I could pretend the plow going by out front was thunder but I don't make knee jerk observations.. it kills the credibility of the forum.

When reports of lightning show up in every other post as if a derecho just rolled through town it just makes you wonder..

Being without cable and Internet late last night and this morning and busy today, only now am I realizing that somehow New York and Boston got more snow. But, for once, I am much more glad to have experienced the storm we had I don't care that NY got 19. I really think yesterday's event could be a life-in-once-time type deal, when you combine the heavy snow, catastrophic road conditions and saw so much lightening in Northwest DC.  I swear it was thundersnow. Later about 10 p.m, it transitioned to transformers popping.

Haha. I do think there were a few fakers last night though. A poster or posters who will go unnamed here who live within 5 miles of me mentioned a few incidences that I certainly didn't see or hear.

no question there were way more reports than actual thundersnow.. i think some people might have been honestly confused. take this quote from CWG... sure sounds like transformers blowing up.

Whatever you name it maybe should pay homage to the bizarre and spectacular phenomenon we witnessed in the Kensington/Wheaton/Silver Spring area last night. Silent lightning started happening and then the entire sky light up like daylight and stayed lit for what seemed like 10-15 seconds. We thought we were in a sci-fi movie. Happened 2 or 3 times within a few minutes time. Never seen anything like it!

Posted by: B2O2 | January 27, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

it's probably a power of suggestion thing. people are told to expect thundersnow.. they get thundersnow. the front end was very dynamic and the vast majority of lightning was there and some of the bands were right after sunset as well. so there was definitely plenty of ground truth imo. but a lot of people dont know what transformers blowing up looks like.

Yea, some of my colleagues described stuff that they thought was was lightening but had to be transformers. Still, I heard so many surreal stories. People were talking about walking home in Montgomery County for several miles after leaving their cars and walking through neighorhoods where all the lights were out in the neighborhood, tree branches were falling, the constant sound of screeching tires everywhere and what they say was near constant bright lights in the sky that they compared to the Northern Lights -- lol..

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure this was the last one. It's the last time I used my snow shovel and also the last time my kids used their sleds. It's crazy to think that it's been 22 months since we've had a decent snowfall. 22 freekin months! I think we've paid back enough of what we borrowed in 09-10...or not.

Archived