SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is cool. I see reason for you concern, but as it stands now temps are looking better for the storm as temps have trended colder for storm than few days ago. For the area including DC there will be more snow than rain as it stands now. Just have to wait for the storm to get here and see how it performs. Just try and mix patience with your excitement and concern. Best of luck to you.

Well put - could not have said it any better. bravo. Apologies if I came across as harsh. Also, he shouldn't be using the GGEM to back up his concerns. Well documented that the mets here prefer the RGEM at this range.

Looks like the timing for the heavy snow is late afternoon into evening.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE... MAINLY SNOW... BUT POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SOME SLEET... FREEZING RAIN... OR RAIN WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS... 5 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE.

* TIMING... STARTING JUST AFTER NOON EAST OF THE APPALACHIANS... BUT CLOSER TO LATE AFTERNOON IN THE WASHINGTON BALTIMORE SUBURBS. ENDING AFTER MIDNIGHT FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES... MID 30S WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON... DROPPING TO THE MID TO UPPER 20S WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

One can't blame municipalities, local media mets, well, everybody really, from being caught unawares. After all, EVERY costal storm like this so far this season has gone OTS (for us at least) like they're on streetcar rails. As Tony Montana would have said..."say hello to my little trend."

It just doesn't feel as warm outside today as I was told it would be (Cabin John).

Last night TWC was calling for 50. Not that anything they say has any value though. I think the point of temps is this- yes, it's 39 now- yes we'll be in the 40's this afternoon, and probably stay above freezing tonight, and will likely have rain in the immediate metro at the outset. but tomorrow into tomorrow night will be a whole different story than today. will we lose some accum. esp on the roads- maybe a bit, but so be it. Many here forget we lost about 2-3 hours of steady light/mod snow on 2/5/10 as well b/c of above freezing temps and daylight snowfall, and at the end of the day, no one was complaining.

Anyone know what the ratios with the Feb 22 1987 (date?) event were like? That was the textbook definition of a "heavy, wet snow" as I recall.

I lived in ILG-- the official airport was 14.4 inches from 1.03 liquid. I had more like 17 and 14 on the concrete. Lived 2 miles from ILG

Archived