joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the BUFKIT links! Of course it has ridiculous ratios of 11-16:1...10:1 will be generous tomorrow. But if I was making a forecast, it would be 6-10" for the big cities and areas within 30-40mi of I-95 and probably 4-8 or 3-6" for areas north and south of that stripe.

I am not sure I quite agree with the random RASN in the middle of SNOW at DCA/IAD...

By my count, we lose .31" of QPF to those two RASN thrown into the middle of the snow (at 2300Z Wednesday night and 100Z Thursday morning). At the rough ratios they're talking about, that's the difference between 7.8" of snow and 11.9"

Thanks for the BUFKIT links! Of course it has ridiculous ratios of 11-16:1...10:1 will be generous tomorrow. But if I was making a forecast, it would be 6-10" for the big cities and areas within 30-40mi of I-95 and probably 4-8 or 3-6" for areas north and south of that stripe.

Sounds excellent.

Man, GFS is terribly close to all snow in Roanoke-- a little mix in the front, even some ZR--

And, always has a mix here-- temps fall to 31 over night and we get a light mix-- there is a warm surge right before the ULL pulls in, but once its cranking, it cools fast.

Which typically bodes well for blacksburg..except bufkit gives us graupel and a random RASN after the changeover. I'll take whatever dendrites we get i s'pose.

By my count, we lose .31" of QPF to those two RASN thrown into the middle of the snow (at 2300Z Wednesday night and 100Z Thursday morning). At the rough ratios they're talking about, that's the difference between 7.8" of snow and 11.2"

I'd ignore those RASNs in the middle. The only dynamical reason I can think of for that is that with lighter precip rates, there's a chance for more melting of the flakes as they fall. Also ignore the snow to liquid ratios that BUFKIT produces. BUFKIT thinks that everyone lives downwind of Lake Erie and that all snow is wind-driven powder.

hopefully you're feeling it when you're getting 2"+/hr tomorrow

This is one of those winters where the comfort zone doesn't arrive until the first flakes are falling...I love what the models are saying and I sure do hope they are close to being right. I'm a weenie for sure but I am trying to measure my weenie until the snow starts

This map is embarrassing. Based on model guidance it's simply embarrassing.

I doubt that they made that map by throwing darts at a board, don't you. They have access to all the "guidance" that you do, plus alot more knowledge to go with it. For you to say that it is embarrassing is just a tad arrogant on your part.

I find this very interesting as the TV mets predicted 6-10 in previous storms this past winter and we got nothing to a trace. Now, this morning (around 5am) they were saying mainly a rain event for DC and points south and east which could now give us more accumulating snow in these areas. I can only imagine what this does to state and local municipalites trying to plans at this LATE stage of the game. :whistle:

Some of the QPF may be liquid before temps aloft crash, but the signal for a quick dumping is there.

According to this... http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

it looks like maybe <5mm of liquid before changeover. Then 6-8hrs of crazy heavy snow. Verbatim with 10:1 ratios, this shows a band of 2-3"/hour snows.

According to this... http://collaboration...pe_gem_reg.html

it looks like maybe <5mm of liquid before changeover. Then 6-8hrs of crazy heavy snow. Verbatim with 10:1 ratios, this shows a band of 2-3"/hour snows.

Do you think 10:1 is realistic though? Or will it start as like 7:1 or 8:1 then become higher as it gets colder (but probably not as heavy precip then)...?

Archived