Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

The Euro has been wet consistently

It has been. The 500h has always suggested at least .80 based on old forecast rules from years ago so the nam isn't so far fetched. It and the euro do raise the possibility that there could be quite a bit of tree and wire problems whent he heaviest snow fall since the tmeps are going to be so close to freezing.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, you wanted to know why it would come north, not what happens when it does.... sorry you didn't ask it that way.

From my experience and I am no met, these things tend to trend north as it gets closer. But yes, perhaps someone else, say Ian or Wes can explain why that happens.

Yeah sorry I guess I worded it funny. Very interesting. Can't say I'm not hoping for that trend. Thanks

It has been. The 500h has always suggested at least .80 based on old forecast rules from years ago so the nam isn't so far fetched. It and the euro do raise the possibility that there could be quite a bit of tree and wire problems whent he heaviest snow fall since the tmeps are going to be so close to freezing.

Oh? You wouldn't happen to have a link or a study to that would you Wes?

it's worth noting the bias but not being overly focused on imo. i think it's current solution makes some sense at least and the gfs might miss some of the detail.

there's usually a drift.. im not exactly sure why. without the uber block in an optimal position and given the more progressive nature it seems it would want to try to lift north a tad. this has been fairly locked in so it might not be much or at all. i was nervous it was a little too good last night so im personally happy to see it back south a bit for now.

Well for you and I, a small drift north would be helpful in terms of accumulations. But even if it doesn't and we get something like what the NAM is giving us... I'll be very happy.

Well for you and I, a small drift north would be helpful in terms of accumulations. But even if it doesn't and we get something like what the NAM is giving us... I'll be very happy.

100% agree. Given the torture that this winter has been and how things looked 2 days ago, anything close to this run of the NAM would be great.

MDstorm

Assuming some meltage at first and lower ratios I would think the NAM is saying at least 7-8" for DCA...qpf is 1.17 but I have to believe some of that melts on contact so even at 10-1 that would be 11" so if ratios are a tad lower and we melt some I think that number looks ok...for now.

Same deal for JYO only maybe a tad less melting and perhaps a higher ratio maybe gives us 4-6" per NAM.....

Good storm if it happens

Assuming some meltage at first and lower ratios I would think the NAM is saying at least 7-8" for DCA...qpf is 1.17 but I have to believe some of that melts on contact so even at 10-1 that would be 11" so if ratios are a tad lower and we melt some I think that number looks ok...for now.

Same deal for JYO only maybe a tad less melting and perhaps a higher ratio maybe gives us 4-6" per NAM.....

Good storm if it happens

Luckily it looks like some of the heavier stuff will be falling at/just after sunset.

Ashburn looks like a good spot for this storm

Yes, yes it does. Sweet Loudoun County, although with our temps in the mid single digits yesterday, Im really interested as to how the dynamics involved get our ground temps to warm to the point where we struggle to accumulate. I mean 6 degrees is awfully cold, even here. We see that number once or twice a season.

Good storm if it happens

no

4-6 for Leesburg would be an unacceptable disaster. I am going 6-10 leaning on the higher side

Oh? You wouldn't happen to have a link or a study to that would you Wes?

NO, just an old rule of thumb from an old forecaster years ago about miller a systems with a closed low. They almost always bring at least 0.80 liquid if you're in the sweet spot and with this storm we are at least according to the model 500h tracks.

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...

***WATCH EXPANSION INTO NE MD...N DEL AND MUCH OF NJ EXCEPT FAR

SOUTH PROBABLE AT 1115 AM PENDING NEW GFS***

PLEASE GIVE US TIME ON THIS. WE ALL SAW THE NEW 12Z NAM WITH HUGE

SNOWGROWTH AND QPF AMTS UNDER THE DEFORMATION ZONE NW OF THE NAMS

MORE DEFINED 500MB STRUCTURE. COULD BE THUNDER SNOW WED EVE. COLLAB

WITH HPC AT 8AM REGARDING MY UNCERTAINTY FURTHER NW IN NE PA AND

NW NJ BUT AWAITING ALL THE MODELS BEFORE ANY POSSIBLE TRIM THERE.

FOCUS "MAY" BE SHIFTING SEWD 30 MILES.

MORE AT 1115 AM

Archived